1751936 Members
5011 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Apache: How to improve performance on OpenVMS

Carl Karcher
Advisor

Apache: How to improve performance on OpenVMS

After analyzing serious performance problems with Apache CSWS V2.2 on a fairly busy BL860C i2 OpenVMS 8.4 system, I've come to the following conclusions that might benefit others:

1. When file version numbers on log files in apache$specific:[000000] get to ;32767, the following entries will be seen in the system accounting file:

LOGIN FAILURE
-------------
Username: APACHE$WWW
Final status text: %RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed

When this occurs, there are significant delays when web clients load pages from the Apache server.

After using a utility to reset the version numbers on these log files, performance is restored. The difference was dramatic.

2. If there's the DCL command "SET DIRECTORY/VERSION_LIMIT=10" in apache$common:[000000]login.com, which may be there if you've upgraded from previous CSWS versions, the following entry is seen in the system accounting log:

LOGIN FAILURE
-------------
Username: APACHE$WWW
Final status text: %RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user

This also results in delays when loading pages and unnecessary disk I/O. While this condition is not as frequent as the first, the "SET DIRECTORY/VERSION_LIMIT=10" command should be removed from login.com. I suspect you'll only have this command if you've upgraded from previous versions of CSWS.

3 REPLIES 3
Peter Barkas
Regular Advisor

Yes, agree with this, we implemented these changes 3 or 4 years ago and have had no problems since.

Login does as little as possible:

$ ! Login.Com for Apache HTTP (WWW) Server

$ !

$ set proc/parse=extend

$ exit

Overnight during low/no web site usage time:

$ pu apache_disk:[apache.specific.*]

$ ren/exc=*.dir apache_disk:[apache.specific.*]*.* ;1

Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Best way to improve webserver performance on OpenVMS is to run WASD instead of Apache! :-)

(Seriously, WASD is much more efficient and doesn't insist that every file being served is StreamLF. It also doesn't create thousands of log files unless you want it to.)

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Doubled. I have found great impreovements on my (small-memory) VMS webserver by simply chnaging from Apache to WASD, Apart from that: WASD comes with a TREMENDOUSLY helpfool toolkit - buitlt-in.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager