New Discussion юеВ

Re: CIFS Access Denied

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

CIFS Access Denied

Hi all,
Puzzled on a mounting a windows directory on UNIX using cifs. I'm trying to mount a windows directory that is 4 levels deep...i.e \\server\dir1\dir2\dir3\dir4 and I am trying to mount dir4 on UNIX.

I can mount up to the dir1 with no problem, but if I get beyond that I get an access denied error. What's puzzling though is that if I map that same directory structure through windows explorer on my local PC using the same credentials that I am passing when trying to mount, it maps it correctly.

I tried using:
cifsmount //server/dir4 /ux/mountpoint -U username

as well as:
mount -F -o username=username,password=userpw server:/dir4 /ux/mountpoint

However, neither worked. I tried supplying that full path structure in both of these commands and that didn't work either.

I'm using HPUX 11.11 and cifsclient Version: A.01.08

So my question is this...are there limitations to this version of cifs that will allow me ONLY to mount Windows directory that are one level deep? Sounds weird, I know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mauro
4 REPLIES 4
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Oh and as a follow up question...If there are spaces in the Windows path that I am trying to mount, would Unix have a problem with those?

Thanks
Mauro
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>If there are spaces in the Windows path that I am trying to mount, would Unix have a problem with those?

Naturally, Unix don't like no stinkin' whitespaces. :-)
You'll need to quote the path.
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Thanks Dennis...that helps a lot.
Also a (stupid) follow up question. Will cifs (UNIX) be able to enumerate (i.e. see) past the share? In other words, suppose I have the windows path:
\\server:\folder1\folder2\folder3 and ONLY folder1 is the share (the credentials I'm passing has the appropriate access). If I mount via cifs in unix and get to folder1, would I be able to see or access folder2 and folder3? I'm thinking no.

Thanks,

Mauro
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Thanks again