Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIFS Access Denied

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

CIFS Access Denied

Hi all,
Puzzled on a mounting a windows directory on UNIX using cifs. I'm trying to mount a windows directory that is 4 levels deep...i.e \\server\dir1\dir2\dir3\dir4 and I am trying to mount dir4 on UNIX.

I can mount up to the dir1 with no problem, but if I get beyond that I get an access denied error. What's puzzling though is that if I map that same directory structure through windows explorer on my local PC using the same credentials that I am passing when trying to mount, it maps it correctly.

I tried using:
cifsmount //server/dir4 /ux/mountpoint -U username

as well as:
mount -F -o username=username,password=userpw server:/dir4 /ux/mountpoint

However, neither worked. I tried supplying that full path structure in both of these commands and that didn't work either.

I'm using HPUX 11.11 and cifsclient Version: A.01.08

So my question is this...are there limitations to this version of cifs that will allow me ONLY to mount Windows directory that are one level deep? Sounds weird, I know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mauro
4 REPLIES
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Re: CIFS Access Denied

Oh and as a follow up question...If there are spaces in the Windows path that I am trying to mount, would Unix have a problem with those?

Thanks
Mauro
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>If there are spaces in the Windows path that I am trying to mount, would Unix have a problem with those?

Naturally, Unix don't like no stinkin' whitespaces. :-)
You'll need to quote the path.
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Thanks Dennis...that helps a lot.
Also a (stupid) follow up question. Will cifs (UNIX) be able to enumerate (i.e. see) past the share? In other words, suppose I have the windows path:
\\server:\folder1\folder2\folder3 and ONLY folder1 is the share (the credentials I'm passing has the appropriate access). If I mount via cifs in unix and get to folder1, would I be able to see or access folder2 and folder3? I'm thinking no.

Thanks,

Mauro
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Thanks again