4906 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't browse a network PC

Zsolt Kukedi
Occasional Advisor

Can't browse a network PC

Hi,
We are on a LAN at our company. We are authenticated by a Domain Controller. We can browse every PC except one. The machine has shares, but the user of this machine set something which permits browsing this machine and which he doesnтАЩt remember on. Do you know how to lift this ban?
Please, help me.
Zs.
5 REPLIES 5
Georg Tresselt
Honored Contributor

Maybe, he simply turned off the server service?
http://www.tresselt.eu
Zsolt Kukedi
Occasional Advisor

Do you mean in My Computer / Manage / Services and Applications / Network connections? Or something else?
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Right area. Might be Computer Browser service tho.

On a good PC do:

Start, Run, cmd, OK to bring up the black cmd window then type:

net start > junk.txt

notepad junk.txt

Then do the same on the bad PC and compare the two files to see which services are missing.

Could also be the firewall blocking you. Turn it off (on the bad PC) and see if you can see the PC then.

Ron
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

If the machine you're trying to browse is a Windows 2000 or XP workstation, and probably NT4 also, assuming it was installed with the NTFS file system as opposed to FAT32, you can use the default share.

One qualifyer: I've always set up the domain admin profile on the XP workstations we have as a local administrator on those workstations. I think you can use the domain admin user name and password to get in, but you may need a local (on that machine) user name and password.

Let's assume for example's sake that the name of that computer is workstation2

Click Start, then Run.

Type "\\workstation2\c$" (omit the quotation marks when you type it).

You should then have a user name and password box pop up. Enter the user name and password, and the C:\ drive will open up.

Pat
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Windows Firewall would be the first thing to look at.

If he is running McAfee or Symantec, they both offer firewall blocking that may have been turned on.

Within the Network connection,TCP/IP settings, under the advanced settings area click on the options tab and see if TCP/IP filtering has been turned on.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda