1752570 Members
5281 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can't stay Connected

Gary Tarpley

Can't stay Connected

We have a network consisting of Win2k Servers running ads with our local domain.

I have Administrator rights.

I installed a new client station and am trying to run Windows XP Pro on the client station.

I am having trouble staying connected to my servers.

I have turned off the "Off-Line" files and have tried to stop any synchronizing I can find.

While developing in VFP 6.0 the client station does not seem to keep its connections active. In the middle of running a call to a network drive I get "network name is not available".

While working with Crystal 8.5 the client system will open a report located on a network drive, but sometimes when I try to save the file I get a message saying it could not save the file to the network drive and crystal saves the file under a different name to a temp folder on my local drive.

I also sometimes get an error message "DOS Error" from Crystal when trying to open a report located on a network drive.

All I want is a persistant active connection to my servers lwhen I am logged in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary Tarpley
9 REPLIES 9
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Can't stay Connected

Gary:

Do you have the latest Service Packs installed?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Gary Tarpley

I have all of service paks installed for XP but may be behind on my win2k servers
Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Hi,

One of our guys at work is facing the same problem. He???s using a Dell laptop. He is disconnected from the servers when leaving terminal services idle for too long. After a long search he is suspecting that the NIC (lan card) is disconnecting automatically him from the network maybe for power saving or something similar. But I don't know really how to find out for sure.
Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Hi,

One of our guys at work is facing the same problem. He???s using a Dell laptop. He is disconnected from the servers when leaving terminal services idle for too long. After a long search he is suspecting that the NIC (lan card) is disconnecting him automatically from the network maybe for power saving or something similar. But I don't know really how to find out for sure.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

On Advanced Server, there is a power setting on the NIC card that allows the system to sleep the card.

Right-click on Network Neighborhood, properties, Right-click on the lan connection, then click on the configure button for the card. select the Power Management Tab, and unselect the "Allow the computer to turn off this device" box.

See if that resolves the problem.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Jon, Gary, et. al.:

The capability Jon speaks of also exists on my D-Link PCI NIC but it is accessed via Device Manager and the NIC properties/Power Management tab.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I forget to mention I'm running WINXP Pro.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Gary Tarpley

I have removed the power management form the nic in the "Device Manager" and also on the LAN network connection.

I still have the problem.

It only takes about 5 min. after startup for this to start happening.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Gary:

Would you please check each machine for which networking protocols are in use and how the NICs are set interms of speed/duplexing. Also, tell us a bit about your infrastructure. If your entire network consists of a single hub/switch, try replacing it to see what effect that has.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger