Networking
1752794 Members
6191 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot see my own files in My Network Places

Shane Potter

Cannot see my own files in My Network Places

I've been trying to setup a network between two XP pc's. Laptop to desktop. I've noticed after running the network wizard on the desktop that I could see the shared folders displayed under "My Network Places|Entire Network|Microsoft Windows Network|@WORK". This is not the case on my HP N5425 laptop. I've been searching data bases all day for help. What am I missing? I'm sure getting this problem figured out will allow the two pc's to talk. Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

You have File and Print sharing installed under the car's protocols? Is the Server Service installed and started?

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Make sure you have something set as 'shared' on each computer.

Good luck.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Shahul
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

Go to network properties, There is some thing called services. Checkup whether file and printer sharing is enabled or not, If not yet do it now and reboot the machine. After that come to source machine and select the folder which U want to share. select in the sense, right click on that, U will get a drop down menu, there U can see sharing. Here U can share with its properties. Now copme to lap top and brows it once again. Got it???

Best of luck
Shahul
Shane Potter

Gents, Thanks for the suggestions. I do have print and file sharing enabled. I have the entire C: drive shared on my Laptop. I'm not sure how to check and make sure the "server service" is installed and started. Keep in mind this is an XPHome system and I'm trying to put together a simple peer-to-peer with a cross-over cable. But allow me to clarify one item. I'm trying to see the shared files available on the Laptop from the "My Network Places|Entire Network|Microsoft Windows Network|@WORK" location on the Laptop. Thx
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Are both computers in the same workgroup/domain? What OS are you running on each one? Have you run the WINXP networking wizard and created the floppy to install on the second PC?
Make a great day!

Roger