Networking
1748151 Members
3749 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure Broadcom 440x Dos Driver For Use W/Ghost

Brian Rossner_1

Configure Broadcom 440x Dos Driver For Use W/Ghost

I got a HP Evo D220 with a Broadcom 440x 10/100. My computer recently crashed. No, not XP crash. Can you believe that? This time Western Digital was to blame as my barely 14 month old drive went belly up big time. So I got sick and tired of being burned by stuff of this nature and got myself another license for Norton Ghost. I want to connect to my host machine via a peer to peer connection. I got the dos Ndis32 driver for the card, but the config file (protocol.ini) is not there and its only there because I don't blank short of the duplex and speed. When Ghost restarts the computer in PC-DOS mode, I get the following, "PRO0008E: Invalid Decimal Digit in Protocol.ini" Can someone tell me what else needs to go in protocol.ini. The thing that is bothering me is I shouldnt have to worry about this stuff. Assuming you got a card that Ghost has the configuration for, you should be good to go. Right? The other computer that I backup with Ghost to my host computer never has any issues. From what little info I been able to gather, Broadcom provides embedded nics that can be flaky and difficult to configure to companies such as HP & Dell. On top of everything else Symantec is not much help. If there is something I missed, let me know. Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Brian,

This Article should fix your problem:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/ca64bf19f6027c9588256bce0077a46a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

However, while your problem could be with TCP/IP, the following is an example of PCMCIA NIC Intel Pro 100 VE "E100B$":

The protocol.ini file should look like this:
[PROTMAN]
drivername = PROTMAN$

[PKTDRV]
drivername = PKTDRV$
bindings = PC_CARD
intvec = 0x60
chainvec = 0x66

[PC_CARD]
drivername = E100B$

Hope this help and please consider assigning points!

"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Brian Rossner_1

A couple things need mentioning. First, I am using the latest version of Ghost 2003. This is the latest version. I am also trying to connect to my host computer via peer to peer network boot disk that I would create and then select in Ghost. Since the Broadcom card wasn't listed I tried adding it. I found the article you made mention of too, but the solution offered in that article did not help. As far as my HP Evo D220, it is not a laptop. I noticed you offered a configuration example of a PCMCIA card. I think there was a couple additional errors in addition to "PRO0008E: Invalid Decimal Digit in Protocol.ini". My host system is not up at this moment and won't be until later on so I won't be able to get the rest of the errors that were coming up.

Short of this problem all together has anyone from past experience had difficulty configuring the dos driver for a Broadcom card?
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Brian,

Here is a protocol.ini file for Broadcom 4401 NIC card.In fact, I have attached the NET directory from the Ghost boot disk #1

Hope will do it:

[protman]
drivername=PROTMAN$

[pktdrv]
drivername=PKTDRV$
bindings=nic
intvec=0x60
chainvec=0x66

[nic]
drivername = B44$
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Oops, I missed the attachments?
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Brian,

the previous post should fix your problem but here are some more documents for future reference:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/ppfdocs/2000091914073125?Open&dtype=corp

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000011211551725?Open&src=&docid=2003042913412025&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=d87bb6ce0bde286d88256d6a00452701&dtype=тИП=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

I had to use this document to make a Ghost bootable disk with the new NIC manually. It worked very well!!! This is just a reference:

http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-003300.htm