5031 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Configure Manual aggregation on the switch in cisco for HP APA Manual Mode

Md. Minhaz Khan
Super Advisor

Configure Manual aggregation on the switch in cisco for HP APA Manual Mode

Dear Experts,

We are going to implement HP APA in Manual mode using two NIC ports. But our confusing is in the CISCO (4507R) switch side. My query is if we have configured APA in Manual mode then for configuring aggregation in the CISCO switch ports what steps we need to do??

**Note: Do we have to create LACP or PAgP Link Aggregation in the switch ports for HP APA Manual Mode or Only Enable the switch port, No need to do any switch port aggregation for Manual Mode??

Thanks
Minhaz
1 REPLY 1
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: Configure Manual aggregation on the switch in cisco for HP APA Manual Mode

I am not a cisco expert but if what you mean by manual mode is an active/passive configuration of the APA, you do not need to do anything on the cisco side. One thing you need to keep in mind is the arp tables on cisco side. I have been bitten by this before. Make sure you are upto the latest and greatest cumulative network patches, APA patches if any, on your server as well as having the most up to date drivers for the NICs you are using. Normally, if APA decides to fail over the connection to the second interface, it preemptively sends an arp request, but in some cisco configurations, this request might be ignored I was told by my network people.

On the other hand, if you are using APA to create a fat-pipe, to handle more traffic or a load balancing configuration, as in switching the interfaces continuously and rapidly, I can not help you there but it involves an intervention on the cisco side and not a light one I was told. Depending on how complex your network topology is, configuring the switches is equally complex.

Good luck