Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuation lines in dfstab

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Continuation lines in dfstab

Is there a way to make continuation lines in the dfstab file? I tried ending the previous line with the '\' and that doesn't seem to work.

I cannot find anything in the man pages.

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Continuation lines in dfstab

If "\" doesn't work, just use long lines.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Many HP-UX files require long lines. If you use a terminal emulator set to 80 columns, change it to 100 or 150. Be aware that vi handles line lengths up to 4,000 characters. The vi commands $ and 0 (zero) will take you to the end of a line and beginning of the line respectively. Configuration files in general do not use \ to create a continuation line.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Bill: Be aware that vi handles line lengths up to 4,000 characters.

Hmm. Contrary to the documentation, I can only get 2,800 bytes.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I can only get 2,800 bytes.

Hmm, it appears this is related to the dimensions of the window. A larger window is needed, otherwise I get:
Internal error: vredraw

(Why was that so easy? )-:
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the replies. 2800 byte lines should be enough. Continuations lines would have made the file more readable for a human and that was what I was hoping to do.

I was also concerned that I might not be able to go over 265 bytes or some such number which would not have been enough.