1748084 Members
5235 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

D-Link Router problem?

Eduardo Fonseca
Advisor

D-Link Router problem?

I installed an wireless Lan at home using DI 614+ router and a DWL650+ wireless pccard on a notebook, just to walk around plugged on Internet.
After installation, with default settings, I notice that Internet connections breaks intermittently.
There are cases that it works for days in a row without a problem and days that it can not stands up for more than a few minutes.
I├в m just using a work around procedure, to apply again all the settings in the router Wizard page Wlan, for reestablish the connection.
Am I missing something in router configuration?
This problem occurs even connected via cables and wireless option disabled in the router.
My Internet provider changed all the gear at home, just in case, and the problem persists.
Anyone could help clear this issue?
Thanks in advanc
3 REPLIES 3
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: D-Link Router problem?

Sounds more like it's physically a problem somewhere between you and your provider (cable or switch). If re-applying the settings sometimes fixes the problem, it may be that you're not getting the DHCP lease from the ISP in a timely fashion, or the request from your switch is being lost (dropped) by their network).

I would ask the ISP (cable provider??) to come out and check their lines.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
chuck berry_3
Valued Contributor

at th4e D-Link site and found this info:

The Cable Diagnostic Utility feature is the latest utility included in the DI-614+ for diagnosing cable connection problems with the wired Ethernet cable. This feature can indicate to users which Ethernet cable connected to the router has problems, identifying where and what the problem is.

If you have the plus model (not sure there is a non-plus model), then this diagnostic might be worth a try.
Eduardo Fonseca
Advisor

Sorry for the late answer, but I think I found the problem.
After a long period of tests to isolate the problem I found that was using the latest driver for the DWL pccard and the original firmware that came with the router (2.18).
I updated the router reinstaled the driver for the card in sequence as recommended.
I'm now about ten days of uptime without signs of problems.
Think that maybe a incompatibility between these two softwares was causing the intermitent break.
Thank for all of you for thee prompt reply.