108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECserver-700-08

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joseph Drozdz
Advisor

DECserver-700-08

I have replaced my broken decserver. When I to Latcp> show ports I see the node as connecting.
When i go to
NCP>show node apsv2 char
Node Volatile Characteristics as of 25-FEB-2006 14:20:33
Remote node = 1.28 (APSV2)
Service circuit = EIA-0
Hardware address = 08-00-2B-BD-FC-1E
However when I want to connect to the node I get this message.
NCP>connect node apsv2
Console carrier protocol not available - already in use
Console carrier protocol not available - already in use
Target does not respond
I rebooted the decserver but still get the same message. Is there anything else I should do ?

9 REPLIES 9
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor
Solution

Is it possible that there is a process automatically trying to connect to the server console? There is only one "console" port available and your NCP message implies that something is already connected to APSV2 (or trying to connect) on the console port.

I'm assuming that the MAC address you show is correct for the new server.

Allan in Atlanta
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Joseph,
how did you assign address 1.28 and name APSV2 to this DecServer, if you can't connect to it?
May be you need to connect via serial port 1.

Antonio
http://it.openvms.org
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Joseph,

a LTA port in status 'Connecting' is very unusual. Did this new DECserver ever work ?

Can you connect with a terminal to a serial port of the DECserver and issue SHOW SERVER STATUS (will report MAC address of current Console User) and SHOW SERVER COUNTER commands ?

For creating a session to a DECserver port from the OpenVMS system, two important things must be considered for the connection to work:

- the SERVER NAME on the DECserver must be the same as specified in LATCP> SET PORT/NODE=xxx. There may NOT be more than 1 server on the LAN with the SAME NAME !

- the port must be set to ACCESS REMOTE (or DYNAMIC) and the port name must match the name specified with LATCP SET PORT/PORT=xxx

Volker.
Stuart Fuller_2
Valued Contributor

When you use the

NCP> CONNECT NODE nodename

command, it uses the hardware (MAC) address.

When you replaced your broken DECserver, did you update the hardware address in NCP:

NCP> SET NODE nodename HARDWARE ADDRESS new-mac-address

If this takes care of your problem, then make the change permanent by executing the command again, replacing SET with DEFINE.
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

Better yet, you should use the DSVCONFIG procedure in the MOM$LOAD directory to swap out a DECserver. It will take care of making sure everything that needs to change is taken care of.

Allan in Atlanta
Joseph Drozdz
Advisor

Allan
All I show in the MOM$load dir is a file called WWENG2.SYS;1 Wher would I find the "other" file you mentioned?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Joseph,

DSVCONFIG.COM comes with the installation of the DECserver software kit (DSVxxx). Do a DIR SYS$HELP:*DSV*.REL* to see if it is installed at all.

For booting the DECserver, you just need the correct xxENGx.SYS file in MOM$LOAD. For connecting to the DECserver with NCP CONNECT, you need the correct HARDWARE ADDRESS configured in your DECnet node database.

Does the DECserver boot ? There will be OPCOM messages about the downline load ($ REPLY/ENABLE=NET). They will contain the MAC address of your DS700.

Volker.
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

Either the software was not loaded and the download file was just copied from another system (perfectly acceptable - just have to do things manually), or your MOM$LOAD logical hasn't been defined to be a search list. I don't have access to a system at the moment, so I can't tell you exactly where else it needs to look. You can try to SET DEF MOM$LOAD followed by SET DEF SYS$COMMON and see if more files show up.

Allan in Atlanta
Michael Yu_3
Valued Contributor

Hi Joseph,

>>> Console carrier protocol not available - already in use

This means someone on this system has been using the remote console carrier already.

At any one time, one one process is allowed to use the remote console carrier for that controller.

Thanks and regards.

Michael