Networking

Re: DL140 with RHEL ES 3.0 update 2 - NIC funny problems

Seva Feldman
Occasional Contributor

DL140 with RHEL ES 3.0 update 2 - NIC funny problems

I just discovered very funny problem in DL140. I've tried to install RHEL ES 3 Update 2 with PXE RIS (Remote installation). Got boot menu with NIC1. Started automatic installation and ... Installation process cannot allocate IP from DHCP server (eth0 is default ks device). BUT I've got PXE menu, vmlinuz and initrd from network, so I got IP. How is it possible you asking?
Hey the problem is: When installation starts NIC1 becomes NIC2 and vice versa. So I've changed PXE boot device in BIOS to NIC2 and connected NIC2 to switch. Now everything works fine (even if ETH0 is default nic).
Some one can explain me this kind of workaround?
:-)
4 REPLIES 4
Roberto Polli
Trusted Contributor

It is possible you should pass further options to kernel before booting.
Peace, r>
Seva Feldman
Occasional Contributor

Hi Roberto,

I really do not understand your answer. I'm installing a lot of DL360 G3 or DL380G3 every day from same source with no problem. What are those options?
Roberto Polli
Trusted Contributor

during a net boot you can specify kernel parameters such as ip address and other stuff like the nfs server source from where to get all the rest of distribution. You can use such parameters instead of dhcp ones (but you need dhcp/tftp to serve kernel to your client.)

look in /usr/src/linux for the netboot file.

hope it helps. If not wish some of our guru catch the ball.
Peace, r
Seva Feldman
Occasional Contributor

Roberto,
I think I missed very importent point. I've found a bug. I think this is a bios issue or maybe tg3 drivers. What is a difference between hardcoded ip's and nfs path and my KS if NIC1 becomes NIC2. Also PXE boot start kernel with no problem.