7257 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Default printer ports?

PamelaJThrasher
Regular Advisor

Default printer ports?

Hello-

I have a printer that is currently located on the same subnet as my HP-UX 11.11 servers.  That printer is going to be moved to another location and will have a different IP address on another subnet.  I suspect that I will need to submit a firewall request to open up communication between my servers and the printer.  Can anyone tell me the default port(s) that will need to be opened for this?

TIA

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Printers usually communicate on TCP port 9100 if you're using HPPI (formerly the Jet Direct software) from the HP-UX server.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If the printer is connected with an HP LAN card in the printer or is using an external HP LAN-to-printer adpater, then port 9100 is used. For almost all non-HP printers and LAN adapters, the port is 515.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
RAJD1
Valued Contributor

You can check the printer configuration and its model , depending on the type of printer it will listen on the respective port, 

For hp-ux default models like rmodel /dumb it  needs to  listen on the port 515/tcp , if it is jetdirect printer model and using 'HP Jetdirect software' it needs to listen on port 9100 .

Please check with # lpstat -t  -d <printer_name>  

Check /etc/services for printer entry to check for the printer port : 
# cat /etc/services | grep printer

Hth,

Raj D.