Networking
1752374 Members
6398 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disable Compaq "x" Agent

cwntnts

Disable Compaq "x" Agent

I am not sure whether this is a right place to ask this question or not but i did a search and didnt get what i want.

Hope you guys can help me.

1) I would like to disabled the SNMP service in a windows system. But i get a messages said that if i disable the SNMP service, it will stopped the following service as well.

a) Compaq Web Agent
b) Compaq Foundation Agent
c) Compaq Storage Agent
d) Compaq Server Agent
e) Compaq Nic Agent

My question here is can i disable these services?
How about the Compaq Management Agent, can i disable it as well.
It is this services are installed by default.
How to know whether i am using these services or not.

Thank you so much in advance.

p/s: sorry if i ask a question that have been asked before.
4 REPLIES 4
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Disable Compaq "x" Agent

You can turn them all off. They are just there to report problems to a central administrator which you presumably do not have.

You can turn off anything that starts with Compaq (tho it doesn't hurt to keep the Compaq Local Alerter since it can warn you if the CPU overheats) and also CPQDMI, Altiris Client Service, Insight Manager LC Remote which are all added by Compaq for the use of a central administrator.

While you are at it kill off Messenger. This is not instant messenger but a mechanism used by a central admin to send little messages to everyone like the server is going down or free donuts in the coffee room. It is being used these days to send spam messages to people offering a popup killer to prevent people from sending you messages this way.

Ron
cwntnts

After i disable all the compaq agent, when i do netstat command, i still find the port 2301/tcp still open and listening.

How come??
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I think that's from Insight Manager LC Remote. Did you turn it off?

Ron
cwntnts

emm, i cant find the service, can you elaborate more specific?