1752530 Members
4310 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enable NIS User Account ??????

Paul Stanard
Regular Advisor

Enable NIS User Account ??????

I set up a NIS domain "Alpha" and I was attempting to modify a current user "bwuser" by enabling the NIS domain on the account. I get the error message "Usermod:bwuser-Unix user not found" Do I have to create separate local and NIS accounts or is it possible to enable NIS on the user.

*I used sysman and not command line
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

What are the results of:

grep bwuser /etc/passwd
and
ypcat passwd | grep bwuser

If you get a nil answer from the 2nd command and a non-zero from the first, you must remove the user from the local /etc/passwd file, and add it's record to the NIS passwd file which is at /var/yp/src/passwd on the master NIS server. When that is done cd to /var/yp and use "make passwd" to update the NIS map's.
Don't see a way to do this via sysman menu.

Johan.

_JB_
Paul Stanard
Regular Advisor

Just to be clear...I performed
grep bwuser /etc/passwd
bwuser:....:202:15::/usr/users/bwuser:/bin/sh

ypcat passwd | grep bwuser
no such map in servers domain

So now I remove bwuser entry from /etc/passwd
Place entry in appropriate yp dir
run "make passwd" script

I am working on getting windows services for unix configured. Will I have to copy the new /etc/passwd over to my nfs server? I am assuming so since i would have made changes to it
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

The output of the ypcat command learns us that you did not configure a passwd file on your NIS master server.
What system is the NIS serverfor the password ? The command "ypwhich -m " will show that.
You should copy sections of local /etc/passwd files with user records to the /var/yp/src/passwd file on the NIS server.
For setting up a NIS master server on a Tru64 UNIX system, first read at least the manpage nis_manual_setup.

NFS server and NIS server are 2 totally separate functionalities. A NIS server is not necessarily a NFS server.

Johan.

_JB_
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

"ypcat passwd" is a starter to check if the user is part of the NIS configuration. If the local passwd file also contains an entry for the user the setup is wrong.

Be sure the passwd.dir and passwd.pag file is deleted after the changes or the hashed entries will be used.

The whole NIS system is explained within the network guide. Have a look into it, a gui can not handle all operations...

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }