108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FTP on HP-UX 10.20

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ulrich Deiters
Frequent Advisor

FTP on HP-UX 10.20

I cannot connect from my HP workstation to many FTP servers (I can log in, but get disconnected when I enter any command). I can successfully connect from Linux workstations. Is there any upgrade for the HP-FTP available?
10 REPLIES 10
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

That depends what OS is your FTP servers. There might be some file for internet security. Like for Unix /var/adm/inetd.sec ...if it is so your Linux server might be listed in ftp but not HP Workstation. Just try putting your workstations IP address for login and ftp. This will solve your problem.

Cheers
Rajeev
Ulrich Deiters
Frequent Advisor

What do you mean by "putting your workstation's IP and ftp"? An FTP server asks me only for a user name and a password. - As I said before: I can log in from HP-UX, but cannot execute any commands. So this is probably not a security or permissions problem.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Check if /etc/services has the path of the shell set for the user that you are logging in as.

Regards,
Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Ulrich Deiters
Frequent Advisor

How can I check /etc/services on a remote FTP server? And what is there to check? The FTP service is probably listed as active, or I would not be able to connect. - Why should the FTP server care about the shell I am using? After all, I am only sending FTP commands.
ITeam
Super Advisor

Can you log in as root or do you only have your own username/password. If you are able to log in as root are you able to check /etc/services, /etc/ftpd.allow and /etc/ftpd.deny?
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Try installing the following patch "PHNE_23949" on your hp workstation which will resolve ftp related problems. I have attached the patch for your convinience.

Rgds
Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Ulrich Deiters
Frequent Advisor

... it is not that easy! PHNE_23949 is for HP-UX 11; the corresponding patch for 10.20, PHNE_23948, is already on my system, and it does not solve my problem.

One of the servers that gives me trouble is the Yahoo FTP Server, and I certainly have no root permission for that one!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Try utilizing passive FTP when connecting to the remote machine.

One way to do this is once you log in to the remote system, type the command 'passive' (without the quotes of course) at the FTP prompt. HP does not do passive FTP by default, I am not sure about LINUX.
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Using netscape ?

check this patch.
PHNE_14797
latest
PHNE_17236

Robert-Jan.