6505 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gateway as "localhost"?

Mihails Nikitins
Super Advisor

Gateway as "localhost"?

Hello,

I met similar network configs on different HP-UX hosts with several LAN interfaces. I can't understand what does the routing to the host's IP address via gateway "localhost". See extract from netconf in attachment. In my example network 10.0.1.0 is a normal management network with a normal default gateway. However, connections from external network to 192.168.30.4 are replied via 192.168.30.4 interface. It's correct, but I don't understand how it's configured in HP-UX.

Many thanks and points in advance! Links to docs will be highly appreciated!

BR,
Mihails
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

I *guess* the "localhost" gateway is an attempt to make sure the applications on this host can connect to the IP 192.168.30.4 locally even if lan900 loses all connectivity (=all links lost).

The route entry has a comment "#HA1 & M3UA". Does this mean anything to you?
(HA might be High Availability, but there is not enough information to make guesses about the rest...)

I once had an application that had its own integrated High-Availability clustering system. It required a real network interface dedicated to the application's use: an IP alias was not sufficient. The application ran on two hosts, and would shutdown the interface on one host and start it up on another (using the same IP address) when necessary. Could this be something similar?

MK
MK
Mihails Nikitins
Super Advisor

Thank you, Matti.

I'll try to go reach an official application support. If I get idea of such configurations, I'll post a reply.
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid