1751765 Members
4818 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Switch Issue

Andrew Malcolm

HP Switch Issue

We have a HP procurve 2224 Switch that we have repeated 'unknown' packets being streamed from every 0.04 seconds. This only occurs when it is conected to a pc at 100MB full duplex. There is no 'unknown' packets being produced at at 100MB non duplex or at either 10MB conection speeds.

We have tested this (with only 1 pc connected to the switch) on Windows 95/98/2k machines with different configurations and at 100MB FD it produces the same data packets. I have also removed the switch (took it home) from the building and tested it with the same result.

I received a replacement from HP which did the same thing. The switch was returned to HP and I was told they couldn't repeat the situation, however I have my doubts about the person I spoke to actually testing the switch properly.

I have attached a text file showing the output when a single pc was connected to the switch.

Could someone please have a look at the packets and inform me if this is normal for a 2224 switch at full duplex?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks
Andrew Malcolm
2 REPLIES 2
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Switch Issue

Hello,

Sorry you're having problems. There is no forum or other electronic support for the switches. If you have a support contract for the switches, call that phone number. If not, you can contact their support center at 970-635-1000. Select option 3 for a product you have already purchased and then follow the prompts to your product. They have an excellent support team so I'm sure they can help you out.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
bernard goehrs
Advisor

Re: HP Switch Issue

Hello,

it seems you have flowcontrol enabled on the link between switch and pc.
the multicast mac# : 01-80-c2-00-00-01 is assigned by the IEEE Std. 802.3x for Full Duplex PAUSE operation.