7205 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX Routing tables

Adrian Killops_3
Regular Advisor

HP-UX Routing tables

Hi,

Occasionally a network address appears in the routing table when I do a netstat -r . This address is invalid, and I need to know what can add an entry to the routing table, or how I could prevent a particular ip address from being written? Any suggestions welcome, i am not a Unix guru, so if possible keep it simple!! Thankyou.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: HP-UX Routing tables

Adrian,

Couple of options:

1. Do the addresses that get added have a 'D' flag associated with them in the Flags column?

If so these are caused by ICMP redirects from routers on your network. The routers are telling the system a more efficient way of reaching a destination. I don't think you can tell HPUX to ignore ICMP redirects (there's nothing in the supported or unsupported IP tunables listed by doing ndd -h supported or ndd -h unsupported).

2. Is gated running? If so then this system may be acting as a router itself and actively listening to router traffic from protocols such as RIP or OSPF etc.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
W.C. Epperson
Trusted Contributor

In what way is the adddress invalid? It might help if you post a sample line from netstat -r.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." --Poe
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

It would help if you gave us your OS version. I wonder if you are running 11.0 and that the reason the new addresses are "invalid" is that they don't respond to a ping. HPUX 11.0 by default will refuse to even try to use a gateway which does not respond to a ping. You can turn this stupid feature off in ndd

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_ire_gw_probe 0

and also edit /etc/rc.config.d/nddconf to add:

TRANSPORT_NAME[0]=ip
NDD_NAME[0]=ip_ire_gw_probe
NDD_VALUE[0]=0

(use the next higher integer in the brackets if you already have something there.)

Ron

V.Tamilvanan
Honored Contributor

Hi,
My one cent addition to Ronne's contribution.
We need to remove and readd the route to take effect immediately without rebooting .

# ndd -set /dev/ip ip_ire_gw_probe 0
# route delete destination [netmask mask] gateway
# route add destination [netmask mask] gateway [metric]

HTH
Keith Bevan_1
Trusted Contributor

Adrian,

Another source for spurious routes visible via netstat -r, is when someone attempts to ping or trace a route that is unreachable. This may on occassions add an entry to the host routing tables.

Keith
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem