Re: HP-UX standard network ports and how to log

SOLVED
Go to solution
Biite
Frequent Advisor

HP-UX standard network ports and how to log

Hi,

Not really into networking on HP-UX, hence these questions:

• What are the HP-UX standard network ports which are opened after a default installation? I have tried searching the docs for information about this, but can't seem to find one overview of these ports.
    I have found information for example about Ignite-UX in it's administration guide though, but for standard HP-UX I haven't been able to find it.
  • Is there a standard tool, no extra software install, on HP-UX which can just log the access ports (in/out, tcp/udp etc.)?
    I tried to read up on nettl, but it's not the most comprehensive tool :) ...

Thanks,

Martien

Regards,
Martien
6 REPLIES 6
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

To see which ports are accepting incoming network connections, run:

netstat -anf inet

If your HP-UX is configured to support IPv6, you might also want to run:

netstat -anf inet6

These commands should list all the ports opened by user-level processes.

However, ports opened by kernel-level subsystems may not be visible in netstat listing. Fortunately, there are not many of those in a default installation of HP-UX. If the NFS subsystem is in use, it always uses port 2049 (both TCP and UDP) and on HP-UX 11.31, the NFS kernel-level lockd uses port 4045 (both TCP and UDP). These port numbers cannot be modified: if the NFS subsystem is activated, they will always use these ports.

Also remember that the user-space components of NFS and other SunRPC services may use randomly-assigned port numbers (unless configured to use a fixed port). To identify these services, run "rpcinfo -p".

For documentation, there is a HP-UX Networking Ports Reference Guide for HP-UX 11.11 and 11.23. It includes many ports opened by various optional HP-UX software, so taking the full list from the document is not going to be very useful. The document should be useful for identifying the purpose of any open port you see in a default installation, though.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02037876/c02037876.pdf

If you see that a port is open and want to find out which process opened it, there is no good tool for that in a default HP-UX installation. You'll need "lsof", a freeware tool. For HP-UX 11.23 and 11.31, there is a HP-supported version of it in the "HP-UX Internet Express" package, which should be included in your installation media kit and also available for free at software.hp.com website. (No need to download the full package: you'll only need the ixLsof-<version>.depot file, which is available as a separate download in the Internet Express download page.)

MK
Biite
Frequent Advisor

Thanks MK,

the document you mentioned did not came up in the search on the HP site :). Thanks for the link...

will try lsof...

Regards,
Martien
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>the document you mentioned did not came up in the search on the HP site

Did you also try google?  ... site:hp.com

Biite
Frequent Advisor

Nope, tried google:

site:hp.com standard network ports

No results.... mostly documentation about 10GigE cards :)

About the same info you get when searching the HP site.

Regards,
Martien
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Nope, tried google:

Well if you know the title, google will find it.  ;-)

It appears you have to at least have ports and networking.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Funny, the link I posted was one of the first results of my Google search :)

As Dennis suggested, it probably helps that I had an old version on my computer and therefore I knew the exact document title to search for...

The lsof command has many options, but when checking network ports, the "-i" option is probably the one I use most often. For example, if I see that TCP port 1234 is open and want to know which process is using it, I type:

lsof -i tcp:1234

The results will include the PID of the process associated with that port. UDP ports can be looked up the same way, just replace "tcp" with "udp".

MK