Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Networking
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble with Windows XP TCP/IP

Matt Vanderwall
Occasional Contributor

Having trouble with Windows XP TCP/IP

I'm trying to network two pc's, one with windows XP and the other with 98. I have the IP address set on the win98 pc without a problem, but when I set the IP on the XP computer, it doesn't take effect. When I look at the network status window, it shows 'unavailable' under all the IP settings... what do I do?
"Pe oad out, Brammig?"
2 REPLIES
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Having trouble with Windows XP TCP/IP

Does XP recognise the NIC you have installed in it?

What is the IP address and subnet mask that you entered?

XP is supposted to be dynamic, in that after the network setting are in place, TCP/IP should work immediately.

Also... how are you connecting these two computers?

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Matt Vanderwall
Occasional Contributor

Re: Having trouble with Windows XP TCP/IP

Windows is detecting my NIC, which is an ethernet card, and i'm using a NetGear 5-port switch to connect the two pc's.
The IP i entered on the XP is:

IP:192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
"Pe oad out, Brammig?"