4609 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help networking new WinXP with 2 Win98SE machines

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Smith_24

Help networking new WinXP with 2 Win98SE machines

I bought a HP a320n (WinXP Home) and hooked it to my Netgear RT314. My 2 existing Win98SE machines work as before (internet access and file sharing), but the new WinXP only has internet access and doesn't see the other computers (and vice versa). I ran the XP wizard, which was useless and judging by the forum postings, won't work for beans. So, could someone give me a set of beginner steps to set up file sharing for the WinXP machine? For clarification, none of the computers have account passwords - you just boot them and they are ready to go. The only thing I REALLY need is to be able to get files off the 98 machines from the XP machine (so I can relocate my files and free up the 98 machines for the kids).

Thanks for any help people can provide.
8 REPLIES 8
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Win xp doesn't install NetBeui at default so when live in peer-to-peer network of Win9x may find some problems.
First you could check the groupware (must be same on all PC).
Second you have to check TCP/IP address and network mask;
Tirth you could register same user and same passwork on all PC's.

H.T.H.
Antoniov
P.S.
I believe you know as do theese, if I wrong post again and I post details of operations.
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Go up to the Microsoft Windows XP file download site, and download the Netbeui protocol. Install into the XP, reboot.

You need to establish temp logins on the win98 PCs with a password.

Install the Win98 login accounts in the WinXP Home PC. The win98 PCs will be logging into the Win XP Home PC.

Share the drive letters on the Win98 PCs, and share specific folders on the WinXP Home PC. Right click on the drive letters.
Enable file and print sharing in the network properties.

Reboot and login to all units.
Wait 10 to 20 minutes for browsing services to finish...
Give it a try in the network neighborhood icon.....

Jim
DGH_2
Valued Contributor

Hi Mike,
you can do it like this:
1- first enable the guest account on WinXp.
right click my computer and click manage, go to users and right click guest. enable the account without a password.

2- create a directory on the win Xp and share it.

3- from win 98 find the Win xp machine in network neighborhood, or if it doesn't appear, go to search for computers and search the IPAddress. when you open it, you can see teh shared folder.

copy all the files that you need from the Win 98 Pc and paste them in the folder.

Regards.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Simply, at the Win98 login with the same account and password of the WinXP. Or create a new user account in the WinXP and use it to login from the the Win98.
Unlike Win9x, WinXP needs to be authenticated with a known user. Another way in Win9x, copy the file C:\windows\lmhosts.sam
to C:\Windows\lmhosts, then add the IP address of the WinXp. reboot both PCs.

Hope this help!
Thanks
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

You'll have best results if all computers belong to the same WORKGROUP (what Antoniov, I believe, meant by 'groupware')

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Norman_21
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello again,

please use this link, it'll explain to you everything you need to setup a small home network.However, it's about 8 parts, look at the end of the Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813936

Good luck.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Mike Smith_24

To XMAN,
That did the trick! I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I went through the Knowledge Base, then compared things in detail. It turns out that the Network Setup Wizard (which I ran once, just on the XP machine) is really a dog and does things without telling you. Specifically, it put up a firewall that wouldn't allow my internal network to communicate. So, as soon as I turned that off, VOILA! All my files were there!!

FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS FOR EVERYONE:
I believe the Wizard also added a "bridge" connection, which I don't need (I have a Netgear Router using NAT, so I don't need to share the connection via the XP machine). I have 2 entries under "Network Connections": my regular LAN connection with Device Name "NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller" and "1394 Connection" with Device Name "1394 Net Adapter". Both of these are the Type "LAN or High-Speed Internet", and right now both are Enabled but with no Firewall.
QUESTION 1: Do I need both of these, or can I remove 1394?
QUESTION 2: Do I need to activate the firewall for either of these, and if so, how do I configure it to let things through from the Win98SE machines? (PS. I've set these sort of permissions in Norton Personal Firewall on the 2 Win98SE machines, so I have some competence in this area.)

Again, Thanks to Everyone for their quick responses. This is a terrific forum!

Sincerely,
Mike Smith
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

1394 network is a quick network; if you have not connected you can disable.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti