108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hot to configure 2nd network port

SOLVED
Go to solution
initin
Advisor

Hot to configure 2nd network port

Hi , I do have a very old 712/80 workstation of HP with HP Unix 9.05, The machine is connected to the network via LAN-AUI port thru AUI to BNC transceiver & one more RJ 45(LAN-TP) port is vacant on the system, Can I connect/configure a netwrok printer to the RJ-45 port.
One more card is Installed in my system with RS232 attachement which is connected to other network thru a Y cable & AUI to BNC transceiver
pls guide me step by step procedure to assign IP add to RJ45 port, If it is possible.
Thanks in advance
Nitin

12 REPLIES 12
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Hot to configure 2nd network port

This system and OS is much more than 10 years old - hard to remember.

IIRC you can either use the RJ45 or BNC connector, not both.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I found this information:

"...
The workstation has built├в in ThickNet LAN AUI and TP (Twisted Pair) connectors
for the 802.3 (ETHERNET) network. Connections to ThinLAN networks require an
external transceiver. The workstation automatically selects the correct network set-
ting."

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

initin
Advisor

Thanks for spending time on my query,
But can I use both the ports at a time?
my problem is that My old printer(having parallel port) has gone out of repair. & I need to replace it with a USB or a netwrok printer which are available in the market now days.
& hance wanted to connect the network printer on the spare RJ45 port
Thanks
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

As said, there are 2 connectors, but it is the same LAN. You can only use one of them at a time.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

adding a network printer is not equivalent to connecting it to the 712 machine you have, using a rj45 network cable. If you think, this is the way you will connect a network printer, you need to revise your understanding of these devices before moving any further. If all you are after is connecting a network printer, you do not need to configure a different network interface. You can add your network printer to your existing network thru your AUI connection, somewhere on the same network.

I'd guess the reason for the original question is that the other network hardware on the site is coaxial-based (10base2, thin Ethernet) and the budget for extra hardware is probably minimal.

As others have said, the 712/80 does not have two integrated NICs: it has just one NIC, which can be switched to use either the AUI port or the RJ-45 port. But it cannot use both ports at the same time.

Back in the last century :) when my previous employer was doing a migration to RJ45-based network, we had bought piles of cheap 8-port 10/100 RJ45 hubs which had one BNC connector we used for uplink. Long before the new cabling was ready, we bought all new network hardware with RJ45 connectors and plugged them in those hubs. When the installation of new switches and cabling was ready, we just moved the network cables from those hubs to the new RJ45 sockets.

If your network is still coax-based, you really should have a plan for transitioning to a modern network technology; new coax hardware is getting hard to find and RJ45 cabling is certainly a proven technology.

I'd expect that transition equipment (like RJ45 hubs with a coax uplink port) will be getting harder to find as time goes on, because the manufacturing volumes are vastly on the RJ45 side by now.

MK
MK
initin
Advisor

Thanks all,
Dear Matti Kurkela, it is correct that my existing network is coax based & the printer available now in the market is having RJ45 port only.
As you said can we migrate the network (BNC to RJ45)without any configuration changes in system.
My existing system(workstation) works as a boot server for 2 more diskless x-station, and all 3 are having a spare RJ45 port.
So can I use a n/w switch & connect all 3 with a n/w printer.
Pls guide
Thanks again
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

In short:
- Find a switch that has a coax connector and enough RJ45 connectors to satisfy your near-future requirements.

- Connect the switch to the existing coax segment using an Y cable, just like another workstation.

- Connect your printer into the RJ45 connector on the switch.

(Small unmanaged switches won't have anything to configure, or maybe just a switch to determine whether the coax connector or a RJ45 connector is used as the uplink port. Bigger "managed" switches may need some configuration first; read the documentation of the switch.)

- If your workstation is already running a BOOTP/DHCP server, you can use it to assign an IP address for the printer. Otherwise, read the printer's documentation to configure a static IP address to it.

- Now your printer should be reachable by IP address from any host in your network. You'll also have a switch you can use as a connection point for RJ45-based hosts and other network devices: that should make it easier to expand your network in the future.

If you choose to get multiple 10/100 (or better) switches, you may want to run a RJ45 cable between them and cut the coax network into separate "islands" for each switch. That would allow the switches to use a 100Mbit (or better) data transfer speed between them: you'd effectively get a faster "backbone" for your network.

MK
MK
initin
Advisor

Thanks all,
Dear Matti Kurkela,
I have arranged a switch of same type you said, Now I am able to connect the 2 diff types of network, But when I am trying to install a Network Printer(SAM-Add-n/w based printer), It is showing me a message saying "The TCP-IP spooler software is not installed on your system , Therefore it is not possible to add TCP-IP protocol printer"

Pls help which patch/sw shall I have to install & how so that I can Install n/w printer
Thanks