5319 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to Determine Original MAC of Teamed NICs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin Dillow

How to Determine Original MAC of Teamed NICs

I am looking for a utility, preferably a CLI that can be scripted; that can provide the true MAC address of all cards in a team. Standard windows tools like ipconfig provide the MAC of the team as the MAC for all cards.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Hi Kevin,
Answer below applies only if you are using HP Network Adapter Teaming:

GUI Solution:
If you look at the properties of each individual NIC and look at Information tab, you should see "burned in" vs "current" MAC address.

CLI Solution:
We created a utility called hpnetsvy.exe that provides LOTS of information (including MAC addresses). Since it's a command line utility, you should be able to script it. You'll have to get creative in order to only strip out the MAC addresses, though.

Hope that helps,
-sean
Connery
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I forgot to mention the location of hpnetsvy.exe.

The hpnetsvy.exe utility was added to the teaming driver several months ago (I can't remember the exact version). It automatically gets installed in the system directory when you update the Teaming driver.

So, as long as you've updated your Teaming driver to a version that is roughly a year old or less, you should have it already.

If you need to upgrade, here are the links to start from:

By NIC:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/networking/us/index.html

By Server:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html

Regards,
-sean
Kevin Dillow

This utility looks like it will help. There was one portion of the problem that I forgot to state. I also would like to be able to remotely collect the same data on my other servers as well.
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Hi Kevin,
My suggestion would be to use SNMP.

The mac address oid is 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.ifPhysAddress.ifNumber or 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.6.ifNumber.

Best regards,
-sean