1753894 Members
7478 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

How to change netowrk settings on an HP UX system

Just Guessing
Occasional Advisor

How to change netowrk settings on an HP UX system

I installed a new domain controller a few weeks ago and would like to check the network settings on my HP UX system.  I am assuming this can be done via the telnet prompt.  I'm looking to see:

IP address

Subnet Mask

Gateway

DNS

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: How to change netowrk settings on an HP UX system

DNS is controlled by the /etc/resolv.conf file.  This is just a text file, so you can edit it with 'vi' or view it via cat  or more.

You can view your network settings via:

# netstat -in

If you need more information you can use 'ifconfig <lan#>' where lan# is the name you see in the 'netstat -in' output.

You can look at your route settings via:

# netstat -rn

To edit the network settings so they are permanently changed you edit the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file.  

If you change that file the settings will only take effect if you stop/restart networking (/sbin/init.d/net stop ; /sbin/init.d/net start) or reboot the system.

Re: How to change netowrk settings on an HP UX system

>> If you change that file the settings will only take effect if you stop/restart networking (/sbin/init.d/net stop ; /sbin/init.d/net start) or reboot the system.

And don't run "/sbin/init.d/net stop" on its own if you are logged into the system via one of the systems normal network cards - make sure you have logged in through the console or Management Processor/iLO when running that command...

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo