Operating System - HP-UX
1751935 Members
4794 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to increase the NTP Server Init time & the client registration time with Server

jayesh82

How to increase the NTP Server Init time & the client registration time with Server

Hi,

I need your expert opinion on how can i reduce the time a client takes to select a server as a Valid server (sys.peer)

I am implementing a NTP solution for a LAN of 200 sytems which will contain 5 NTP servers (LOCAL) and all other NTP clients. I am concern about to keep the time inside LAN perfectly same.

I am able to do it using the LOCAL NTP Server. But whenever i boot up the NTP server and tries a client to get connected to it, it take more than 3 mins to get the time. Yeah, NTP algorithm takes that much time, but is there any way i can reduce it further, as i am using local area network there wont be any congession problem.

The ntpq output i get is as mentioned below, 

a)Just after server boot up and run ntpq at client 
Prompt>ntpq.exe -p
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter ==============================================================================
Server 1 LOCAL<0> 11 u 12 16 17 1.162 -2.466 0.977

b)Till three min if i run "as" cmd at client, i get
Prompt> ntpq.exe as
ind assID status conf reach auth condition last_event cnt
===========================================================
1 52163 9024 yes yes none reject reachable 2
[Why it shows reject??]
c) After 3 mins
Prompt> ntpq.exe as
ind assID status conf reach auth condition last_event cnt ===========================================================
1 52163 963a yes yes none sys.peer reachable 3
Spoiler
Currently testing with only 1 local server. Is it possible the selection algorithm takes less time and sets the time immd?
Spoiler
Thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration > to HP-UX > networking. -HP Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: How to increase the NTP Server Init time & the client registration time with Server

If you have a new enough version of ntpd, you can use the "iburst" option on the server line(s) of your ntp.conf file.

That will speed up the initial synchronization.

MK