108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to setup CIFS share?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fragon
Trusted Contributor

How to setup CIFS share?

I have setup a CIFS server with NetBios Name "l2000" and make a share name [tmp].
I use "testparm" command the verify the smb.conf file and things are well. I can ping l2000 correctly in Windows2000 client.
But I type:
C:\>net view \\l2000
I always get the error:
"system 5th error occur
Access dined"
I set the "security=user",how can I setup some legal users to get access to "l2000"?
10 REPLIES 10
Jarle Bjorgeengen
Trusted Contributor

You may have an an issue with password encryption.

I think you have to use smbpasswd (or maybe they called it something else on hp-ux), to generate encrypted passwords on the hp-ux, for all win-users that is going to connect to a CIFS share.

Rgds Jarle
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

"security=user", means that you'll need a unix on the HP-UX box for the Win clients to be able to log on.

Use "security=domain" and add the server to the NT domain using smbpasswd to be able to use the info in the Domain Controller.
Belive you'll still need a unix user..

(We're running user security so I haven't tested the domain method)

rgds
Andreas

Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

... need a unix USER...
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hi,

With user level security you will need to have a unix user for each Windows2000 user. Each user then requires an entry in the smbpasswd. You can use a map file to map the Windows2000 usernames to HP-UX user names.

To create the smbpasswd file/add users from /etc/passwd to it you can use addtosmbpass.

The next level up would be setting up the shares so that only certain users can access them. If you're using CIFS/9000 (HP's Samba based product) or many open source versions of Samba you can use SWAT the web-based gui. To access it point your browser to http://:901

regards,

Darren
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Do you have a Windows domain?

If yes, then,

I would set security = server

Set the password server to a BDC/PDC, then you need to have:

encrypt passwords = Yes

I used to get failed passwords before as well, did a search on google and found that sometimes the following helps resolve it:

keepalive = 0

"The value of the parameter (an integer) represents the number of seconds between keepalive packets. If this parameter is zero, no keepalive packets will be sent. Keepalive packets, if sent, allow the server to tell whether a client is still present and responding.

Keepalives should, in general, not be needed if the socket being used has the SO_KEEPALIVE attribute set on it (see socket options). Basically you should only use this option if you strike difficulties.

Default: keepalive = 300"

Additionally, I would add:

preferred master = False
domain master = False

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

You can use a grate book from O'railly using SAMBA.
Also you have a GUI configuration that you use with your browser run: http://localhost:901

Caesar
Fragon
Trusted Contributor

I set the "security=share" and still not work.
I can ping "l2000" in Windows2000 workstation and when I use "net view \\l2000" I got the same error.
I use "root" and root's password also not work.
Note that "testarm" and "smbclient" both work OK.
I attache the smb.conf file here.
Please help me!
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Gerald,

I'd suggest that you set "encrypt passwords=yes" in your smb.conf.

Also, check the log.smbd and the log for the machine you are connecting from to determine what errors are occurring.

Share level security isn't really ideal for CIFS - it's pretty much there as Win95 used to utilise it. User level or server level security are better - see other answers in this thread for information on setting up these type of security.

regards,

Darren.
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...
Giuseppe Gattiglio
Contributor

Hi, I can tell the steps I followed (I'm a very beginner) to share a directory /docs to marina UNIX user

1. smbpasswd file creation
# cd /etc/opt/samba
# cat /etc/passwd /opt/samba_src/samba/source/script/mksmbpasswd.sh > smbpasswd
# chmod 600 smbpasswd
# vi smbpasswd (to remove all raws except the one for marina user)
# smbpasswd marina ( to save into smbpasswd file encrypted marina UNIX password)

2. /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = RINA
netbios name = UNIX1
server string = Samba Server
security = SHARE
encrypt passwords = Yes
smb passwd file = /etc/opt/samba/smbpasswd
log file = /var/opt/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
local master = No
read only = No
short preserve case = No
dos filetime resolution = Yes

[docs]
comment = docs directory
path = /docs
public = no
valid users = oracle
read only = Yes
writeable = no

3. Restart samba deamons
# /sbin/init.d/samba stop; /sbin/init.d/samba start

4. Test by a win 2000 machine
First remove all previous failed connections using net use command (eg. "net use \\UNIX1\docs /delete")
Then try access the new share, giving username=marina and passwd=

Hope this help
Marina Arata