Operating System - HP-UX
1753510 Members
5787 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hp-UX 11iv2 initial network connection very slow

Hp-UX 11iv2 initial network connection very slow

Hi all,

There is two new HP-IPF servers (rx 4640) and I face a network connection problem with these machines.

If you initiate a telnet/ftp/ssh to the machine from other machines (inside/outside the subnet) it takes a lot of time to give the intial connection. That is, on a telnet session, logn prompt will be displayed only after about 2-3 minites. ftp sessions from windows getting timed out. and connection from an oracle client on these machines is not reponding due to this. Once it is connected the data transfer in an ftp connection is quite fast.

This problem appears and disappears without any changes in the switch/servers.

It is connected to network using Cisco catalyst 4006 switch/router.

Network administrator told me that this port is showing a good number of errors.

I tried hard setting 100 Mbps/ Full Duplex throogh on both sides, which did not help much.

Any help will be appreciated

James Sebastian
10 REPLIES 10
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

James,

If your data transfer is fast (in BOTH directions) your speed/duplex is OK.

I've seen this happening with ftp sessions. The FTP server tried to resolve my IP address to a name and because of the DNS setup with long time-out values it took indeed more than a minute before a login prompt appears. (It was using a DNS server it could not reach because it was an internal DNS server.)

So check whether it is doing DNS lookups when initiating a session (where would that be configured?)

JP.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Check to make sure that routing tables are correct from A to B
Anyone for a Mutiny ?

Hi,

This is slow even when I use IP address directly. So I dont think a DNS resolving issue will arise.
Other servers on same subnet is giving faster connection and when i try to connect from same subnet too it is slow (there is not routing from A to B there, right?). But I can get a faster response when I intiate a self telnet (to the same machine) session.

James

Hi Michael & Jerom,
Thanks for the suggestions.
My message formatting was ambigous which can confuse.
So i am resending the reply.

DNS Issue? : The intial connection is slow even when I use IP address directly. So I dont think a DNS resolving issue will arise.

Switch ? :Other servers on same subnet is giving faster connection from same windows/unxi clients

Routing? :When I try to connect from same subnet itself, it is slow (there is not routing from A to B there, right?). But I can get a faster response when I intiate a self telnet (to the same machine) session.

Thanks,
James
Arunvijai.S
Frequent Advisor

Hi James,

Check /etc/inetd.conf for ftp6, telnet6 entries.

Thanks,
Arun

Hi Arun,

These are the entries I have in /etc/inetd.conf

ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/lbin/ftpd ftpd -l
telnet stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/lbin/telnetd telnetd

I think it looks good only

James
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

James,

what I meant to say is that the FTP server tries to resolve your IP address. This is independent of specifying name or address on the FTP command.
So try to resolve the IP address and name of the ftp client machine on the FTP server.

JP
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

As Jeroen says it's probably the DNS failing. HPUX likes to know who it's talking to so it will try to do a lookup even if you give it an IP address. Try:

nslookup A.B.C.D

where A.B.C.D is the IP address of your target. Does it fail? Did it even find the DNS?

Try it the other way:

nslookup TargetName

Same thing?

As a final check edit the /etc/hosts file to put in the name and IP address of your target and then try nslookup again in both directions. If this works quickly then try your ftp or telnet. Faster? Get the DNS fixed.

If the /etc/hosts change does not resolve faster then look at /etc/resolve.conf

You don't have to take the net admin's word for errors on your link. You can look at
lanadmin
lan
display
the second page will show errors. If you have more than one NIC you will need to do a ppa x to change to nic x.

netstat -s will also show errors. If you have other HPUX on the same LAN you can run a linkloop test (see the man) to check out your local layer 2 connections.

Ron

Hi all,

I think, it is solved now. DNS server was not responding to the queries and I changed the DNS server.

Thanks for all the help.

James Sebastian