4270 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IPfilter installation

Wahyono_1
Occasional Contributor

IPfilter installation

Dear All,

I have already downloaded IPfilter and copied the files to my server running Tru64. Could anyone please tell me how to install IPfilter (step by step).

Thanks
Why
7 REPLIES 7
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Re: IPfilter installation

Why,

There is no indication in your posts on what exactly (versions)you downloaded from where, and on what version of Tru64 you want to install it. How would you expect us to help you....??
If your talking about Internet Express, first read the doc from the kit, then install the web-admin tools (IAEADM630 subset)..........

__ Johan.

_JB_
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

If you "downloaded" it from the open source side, please read the howto's and go through the forum of the open source side.

And why not reading the documentation accomplished with the kit? Should we do your work?

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
James George_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Here is how to configure the IPfilter.

This is from an internal document that we use for configuration. You will have to customise the PORTS for your specific environment.

Good Luck.

James
forum is for techies .....heaven is for those who are born again !!
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Ralf, I don't know why You're being this aggressive here, at least one of the people replying didn't even now what software he is asking about.

IPfilter is not only offered by the author and freeware sites, but also offered as a regular software bundle by hp.
on hp-ux there is extensive documentation for it, but on Tru64 there isn't.
I've been using ipfilter for years on other systems and didn't care. But I think his question is well justified, if something is coming as an OS addon without good docs, especially with something critical as local firewalling.

Wayhono, at first have a look at
http://docs.hp.com/en/B9901-90014/index.html

there should be almost no differences between hp-ux and tru64 in this software.

In general:

The rulesets for port filters are usually
put into a file named /etc/ipf.rules, and loaded with ipf -f /etc/ipf.rules.
If You reload new rules, You must first flush the old sets (that's -Fa I think)
NAT rules (i.e. for a local forward from port 80 to 8080) go to /etc/ipnat.conf and are loaded using ipnat -C -f /etc/ipnat.rules
(no flush here, -F drops the current NAT tables.)

More extensive documetation is in the manual, which in great parts was revamped from the IPFilter Howto available somewhere at
http://www.obfuscation.org/techs/

Good luck.

yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Florian,

this forum is for HP software only, support for open source products is given by the open source community, which is quite excellent and fast.

If it is within a supported HP kit, then a documentation is accomplished (btw. not all products delivered within the IAS are supported.) So as Johan already wrote: read the documentation.

Btw. all postings of him were documentation related assigning no points or thanks anybody for the solutions.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

I sure noticed he doesn't quite well understand what forum guidelines are about.
I dare say that he won't even read this :)

yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Wahyono_1
Occasional Contributor

Dear All,

Thanks for all your help.
Please understand that handling this matter (Unix Tru64 and HP Alphaservers) is totally new for me. Besides that, I also have to do a lot of other things around here. Sometimes I haven't got that much time to try your instructions as i have to focus on something else. I do really appreciate your kind assistance in replying my questions.
I never meant any discomfort.
Once again, thanks to all of you.

rgrds,
Why