108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Inetd on an rx2660 running 11.31 will not start

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Patterson
Advisor

Thanks for all the input so far still no success though its very frustrating since I can see that the cron is working and all is well with the server otherwise from the remote console access I have.
I am looking at the tusc option suggested, I have tried to kill the process but it wont die, I don't have bastille configured.
Inetd is turned on in the /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons as follows;
export INETD=1
export INETd_ARGS=""

It is a sw issue alright I cant help but think it is a kernel issue though since all of the regular files and settings are as they should be. The server had not been rebooted for 500days so something has changed alright to stop the inetd from starting as it should.

Ian
TTr
Honored Contributor

Edit the inetd.conf and comment out all unecessary services. Comment out everything except a few well behaved services such as telnet and ftp.

Ensure that the hang inetd is killed (reboot the server if you can not kill the hang inetd)

Start inetd (or boot the server) with minimal inetd.conf. See if it starts that way.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>I have tried to kill the process but it wont die,

Do you get something in syslog.log when you are trying to kill the inetd server?

How did you tried to kill syslogd? Did you used -9 option:

ps -e|grep inetd
kill -9

Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>to kill syslogd

errata:

to kill inetd

Horia.
Horia.
Ian Patterson
Advisor

hello there,
Well the server never completes a load of the inetd it hangs when reading the configuration and then when you grep for the inet you see that it is stuck on inetd -l this then is where everything stops you cannot kill the running process and cutting down the inetd.conf to minimilastic levels makes no difference still no proper inetd process so no rlogin or telnet access is possible while in this state.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>it is stuck on inetd -l this then is where everything stops you cannot kill the running process

-l means enable logging. What info do you get from /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log ?

Are you sure that you can not kill the running inetd with kill -9 ?

Be aware of the fact that inetd -k is trying to kill "gracefully" the daemon and can fail.

Horia.
Horia.
Ian Patterson
Advisor

Well after rebooting the server I can now kill off the inetd and stop and start but it still does not allow for remote logins and telnet or ftp.

Fortunately I do have NFS the filesystems have been linked to where they are needed as a work around.

There are some patches that have been recommended to install and this is happening on Sunday these being PHKL_38040, 38681,38691,38708,38737,39028,39397,39398,39399,39400,39464,39465,39476,39479,39482,39606,39740,40022,40224,40293,40434

So we wil see if this makes any difference.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] does not allow for remote logins and
> telnet or ftp.

Not a useful problem description. What,
exactly, did you try, and what, exactly,
happened when you tried it?

Interesting stuff in the system log file(s)?
Ian Patterson
Advisor

there was nothing really I could do except organise a time for the server to be rebooted. The only effect this had was to free up the locked inetd process but apart from this clearing the ability to at least kill the inetd and attempt to start and stop not change has been made.

We still do not get rlogin or telnet and as for being not useful well this is the nature of the problem and nothing I can do about that.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> We still do not get rlogin or telnet [...]

I don't know what that means.

> [...]and as for being not useful well this
> is the nature of the problem and nothing I
> can do about that.

How did you determine "the nature of the
problem"? Did you run some actual commands?
Did you get some actual results? Could you
show us any of that? That would be more than
"nothing".

You might begin with "uname -a".