Networking
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it posible to lanboot from a n4000(rp7400) from a nic different than lan0 ?

likid0
Honored Contributor

Is it posible to lanboot from a n4000(rp7400) from a nic different than lan0 ?

Hi,

I have a server rp7400(hp-ux 11.00) that has lan5 configured in the ignite network, lan0 is configured as cluster heartbeat. I was wondering if it's posible to lanboot the server from lan5 ?, or does it only boot from lan0 ?.

I imagine if it can only boot from lan0, i could boot with a cdrom, and the start the network recovery using lan5...

On the other hand, does someone know, wich is the slot(of the 2 possible, upper or lower) for this internal disk hardware path of the n4000, it doesn't say in the manual:

0/0/2/1.6.0     /dev/dsk/c2t6d0

Thanks for the help

Windows?, no thanks
3 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it posible to lanboot from a n4000(rp7400) from a nic different than lan0 ?

The bootability of the lan5 NIC would generally depend on the model of the NIC and the firmware level of the system.

According to some old documentation photos I have, the hardware paths of the internal disk slots are marked on the "handle" of the disk slot cover. One is marked with an upward-pointing triangle, meaning the upper slot; the other is marked with a downward-pointing triangle, respectively. Unfortunately the photos are not detailed enough to allow me to read the hardware paths from them.

Edit: I had a chance to get up close to a n4000 today.

The upper disk (disk A) is 0/0/2/0.6, and the bottom disk (disk B) is 0/0/2/1.6.

The external SCSI connector in the core I/O card has hardware path 0/0/1/0, and the core LAN is 0/0/0/0 (at least with the older core I/O with a 10 Mbit-only GSP; the newer core I/O with a 10/100 GSP may have a different set of paths.)

MK
likid0
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it posible to lanboot from a n4000(rp7400) from a nic different than lan0 ?

Hi, I finally checked out none of the -SX cards I have installed on the server are compatible, I will have to change the cable and boot from lan0.

On the other hand I found a great image with all the hdw paths/slots reference, great stuff.

Windows?, no thanks
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing, I'll add this to our documentation archive too.

MK