1748169 Members
4292 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Issue with HP-UX servers in NIS and NFS environment

lokanath
Occasional Advisor

Issue with HP-UX servers in NIS and NFS enivironment

Hi Friends, from past few weeks my work is became very worse with the bellow issue.Please have look and give valuble inputs. 1.we are using NIS and NFS server in out network for gobal login in the network. 2.All Linux servers in the network will work proper without any issues. 3.But servers which are running with Hp-ux O.S are giving me troubles.like while executing some commads it is getting hanged and not coming back to prompt. 4.but from linux servers every thing is working fine and we are to give all types of commnds as NIS user. 5.I checked for disk utilization ,swap space utilization ,CPU utilization of process and load of the server ,evry thing under control with HP-ux boxes but facing issue while giving GIT realted commnads which are necessary to run . 6.Same GIT commands on linux runs fine. Finally what i can say , 1.NIS and NFS seesm to be working fine as NIS user able to excute commnds from linux. 2.there is much server load on Hp-ux and enough disk space avilable . so kindly help me to get out of this problem.

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration to HP-UX > networking - HP Forums Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Re: Issue with HP-UX servers in NIS and NFS enivironment

At this point you have not identified if this is an NFS problem or an NIS problem.  Do you have a simple command or program that consistently reproduces the hang?  If so, how long does it take for the problem to reproduce on the HP-UX NFS client?  When the problem does happen, how do you clear it?  Do you have to reboot the client?

If the problem is that GIT commands hang on HP-UX but not on Linux, that smells like a file locking problem.  File locking problems can absolutely affect one system but not another, and the main symptom is an application hang.

Once we know more about the problem, how you reproduce it, how you clear it, how long it takes, etc. we can make better recommendations for troubleshooting it.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
lokanath
Occasional Advisor

Hi Dave, Actually we are using Hp-ux server for giving GIT builds ,these command will make use of the chroot enivironment which is present on linux server.The command looks like chsetup -c /local/skum42/chroot.HPUX -g /local/skum42/some_printer_issue -h -s after executing this either server goes for hang or will give error after running nearly 2 days (previously it will take only 8-10 hours for successful build).The error looks like NFS server Linuxserver not responding still trying NFS server Linuxserver ok NFS server Linuxserver ok NFS server Linuxserver ok NFS server Linuxserver ok ld: final link failed: ld: final link failed: No space left on device No space left on device gmake[3]: *** [XMLPR.r] Error 1 gmake[3]: *** [XPS1.r] Error 1 gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/fw/subsystems/xps/lib/gen.topeka-hw_rom-r' After this error no other user can log on that server as NIS user if so it will get hang not coming to user prompt.So in this case need to reboot the server.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Issue with HP-UX servers in NIS and NFS environment

>Hi Friends, from past few weeks my work became very worse with the below issue.

Formatting comments:  (Please consider)

It would help if you could format your post better.

Include at least once space after a comma or period.

For lines meant to look like terminal output, make them look the same way.  You can use the [C] insert code button above.

For a numbered outline, it helps if the numbers start on a new line.

And you can also add a blank line for paragraphs.  See what Dave did.

You can use the Post Options > Edit Reply on the right, to edit your post to make it easier to read and answer.

KishoreR
Visitor

Hi,

>>The error looks like NFS server Linuxserver not responding still trying

These messages  tells that there are communication issues between nfs client and server.

NFS server is not responding fast enough.

did you check this? any network issue between the two systems?

this might be one reason why your build operations are taking more time.

Is it possible to share what is the actual file operation command that seems to be hanging on hpux client side?

By Default, NFS mounts are hard ( Continue to retry requests until the server responds)

Regards,

Kishore