1753618 Members
5874 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Java Gui and XP

Chip Lees
Advisor

Java Gui and XP

Here is the issue. On Windows NT,the Java GUI work fine with a almost immediate return on an ito application to run telnet.

When trying to execute the same application on a java_gui machine running XP, the gui just hangs with a dialog box inside the gui stating "Application starting ... please wait".

Well nothing ever happens. I have tested this with both version 6.x and 7.x on both XP and NT machines and the same results. NT - works fine, XP - just hangs.

Has anyone seen this or know the work around for this?

Oh by the way, Server is HPUX 11.i, running NNM 6.2 with OVO at 7.1 and oracle 9i.
9 REPLIES 9
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Is this XP installed machine Pentium4 processor based and NT is not?
Eugeny
Lance Brown
Esteemed Contributor

On XP, what are you using for JAVA?

Lance
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Make sure your XP has SP1 installed.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

There is a known issue with old JREs and Pentium4 processor. JRE executables fail to start. So you need to install at least 1.3.1_2 JRE from Sun, and modify java executable (java.exe, javaw.exe etc) path to run it from this newly installed JRE directory
Eugeny
Chip Lees
Advisor

I have two seperate XP Sp.1 machines to test with Pentium III and Pentium 4 machines both with Java 2 Run time version 1.3.1 and same results. Dialog box states "Application started... please wait" and no luck just stalls.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

So there are only some possibilities: incorrectly installed JRE (reinstall it, try another version, try running another java code to see if it works), bad jar files (check if GUI installed properly, reinstall it) and there're problems with system itself (old IE, missing patches etc)
Eugeny
Chip Lees
Advisor

Downloaded new version of Java 1.4.1 and tried that, same results.

I'll uninstall javagui and reinstall from the server to verify installation.
Chip Lees
Advisor

Here is something for anyone who is running XP on their desktop.

See if you can create a simple telnet application that runs as a VPO application with the application call of telnet
and additional parameter of $OPC_NODES

Start on taret machine by operator

and run under opc_adm snd see if you can get it to work.

THat is the details of the application that works under NT but not XP.

Happy Holidays.
Arthur Pols
Advisor

Hello there,

We have the same problem and still no solution, if we start an application the dialog box only send the message "Application starting ... please wait".

We are using Java version 1.4.1_02 and OVO (Java GUI) version A.07.15 and try to start OVO-applications from a workstation (running XP Professional Version 2002 5.1.2600 SP1, Hot Fix Q816474).

Is there someone with a solution ?

Greetings from Holland,

Arhtur Pols
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.