1753772 Members
4991 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LAN connection speed

Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

I know Rick. We had similar kind of issues at storage. We can access disks etc, but data transfer is very slow. Later found it was problem with cable. But there were no errors anywhere.
Regards
Shibin
rick jones
Honored Contributor

That is just.... wierd. Unless there were bugs in the statistics, a bad cable should lead to error stats incrementing. Or, in your case, did the cable simply not "train" to the higher speed? Even then, the statistics should have shown the lower speed.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

It was all in a sudden slow response. First FC link failed found the issue at Gbic. Changed this and started slow response.
Regards
Shibin
Kevin (Gonzo) Bushman
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, all, but not much has helped here. Gonig from sftp to ftp only gave us a small increase in speed, 10MB to 15-16MB. Still not anything near where it should be. My next step is to talk to our network guy to see what he can tell me from his end.

Points given.

-Gonzo
If you do nothing else in with your life, make friends with a dog.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Another test is to bypass networking completely and just use a single LAN cable between two systems with 1Gb cards (no switch). Ideally the other system can keep up with the 1Gb NIC since network speeds are dependent on both ends. This is the fastest way to prove that there is an HP-UX or NIC problem, or a network (switch, routers, etc). Also make sure the network path doesn't go through some QoS or other packet prioritizing appliances. Your throughput will be the limited by the slowest component in the chain.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

Did you get a fix for this? I see a "Outbound Discards = 12106" here. Do you know the reason for this?