New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mounting Local NT Machine's Drive as a mount point in HP-UX server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bala_4
Occasional Advisor

Mounting Local NT Machine's Drive as a mount point in HP-UX server

Hi All

Please let me know how do we mount the NT machines hard drive as one of the mount points on HP-UX server (ver 11.00) ? I heard that this can be done using NFS .

Can anyone help on how to do this ?

Thanks in advance

Bala
7 REPLIES 7
Vikas Khator
Honored Contributor

Hi ,

You need Samba ( I think they call it CIFS now) to be able to mount NT drives on HP
Keep it simple
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

As far as I know this can NOT be done via NFS unless you have a PC-NFS product installed on your NT machine. HP does have a product called CIFS 9000 that allows you HP-UX 11 machine to mount NT shares.

http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=B8724AA

http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=B8725AA
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Another NT NFS Server/Client bundle is Omni-NFS available from www.xlink.com. It's cheap and we've used it for some time.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
ckchua
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have a problem for Omni NFS Server to connect to HP-UX NFS Client.

I have downloaded the Omni NFS Evaluation copy and installed at Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 Server. Setup the NFS Shared directory using the Omni NFS Server. On HP-UX Server, I
try to mount by:

mount -F nfs :

but failed. The errors seems not able to recognise the nfs server directory. I can
ping the NT Server from HP Server.

Please advise if you have successfully done this before. Would appreciate your help. Thank you.

regards
ckchua/Malaysia
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Bala,

You can use Advanced Server 9000 for Unix systems which is 100 % compatible NT Networking technology.
You can ( your HP-UX server ) :
1. Join a NT Domain ( as member or backup domain controller ) or even you could be a Primary Domain Controller.
2. Add local group integrating an already defined NT global group.
3. Add shares and ressources.
4. Set permissing on shares and ressources.
5. Add printers ...

and so on.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

First, Bala:

Your ver 11.0 HP-UX system should have come with the CIFS/9000 product. It's an implementation of Samba for HP-UX with some extensions, one of which is the ability to mount CIFS (NT) shares as filesystems.

So, be sure that the CIFS/9000 client and server are installed, then check the man pages for the syntax. I think "man mount_cifs" should get you there.

For Chua Chong Khim:
make sure that "rpcinfo -p " returns information about the mountd and nfsd. If not, your installation on NT failed. If they are there, check the configuration (this procedure varies greatly in NFS implementations) of the send and recieve windows (I think the default for HPUX is 32K). Mismatched window sizes can cause unusual behaviour. You should match the client to the server - this can be done with options to the mount command on the client.

Good luck
No matter where you go, there you are.
Shahul
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

I don't know how to mount an NT drive to HP machine. But if Ur requirement is data transfer U can easily mount HP volumes in NT machine. Got /etc/rc.config.d. Edit nfsconf and enable PC_NFSD. Restart NFS client. Go to NT machine, Login as same user name and passwd of HP. Give ur HP machines IP address in Network nighbourhood. It will list ur HP machine's volumes.

Best of luck
Shahul