108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NFS client is not connecting to NFS server

aneesh_1
Occasional Contributor

NFS client is not connecting to NFS server

Hi all,

I have one HP-UX server running with hpux11.11
in this I am getting the error message that "NFS server is not responding still trying" message.I tried restarting the service but did not make any changes.Then I restarted the server.It worked for 2 minutes after restarting the server.Then again started giving the same message.I have checked the network connectivity to the NFS server and is perfectly working.Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks&regards
Aneesh
5 REPLIES 5
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

how did you check the network connectivity ? and how can you be sure that a firewall is not dropping NFS connection after a couple of minutes ? are you able to establish a session from a different client on the same network as your troubled client, to the same NFS server ? Or is your client able to connect to other NFS servers without a problem and this is the only NFS mount giving you problems ?

Please describe what you did in detail to check the network connectivity. And if all you are going to say is, "I can ping it", I suggest talking to network/firewall administrators without wasting more of your time.

Hi Mel

Another hpux11.11 server is able to mount the same shared file systems from the same network with out any issue.The problem happened after a reboot today morning.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

which server was reboot and more importantly why ? reboot happened on NFS server side or NFS client ? If client, make sure the hostname and IP addresses as well as static routing stayed the same before and after the client reboot. Also check and see if you have multiple default route's in your routing table.

Also, if the nfs mount is in your /etc/fstab, please post that line here so we can understand the parameters you are using.

It could be that you have an IP conflict (for your client) in your network...

Check on the server which arp address you have for your client and see if it is correct.
I'm trying to become President of the state I'm in...
aneesh_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mel/Tor-Arne,

The server is an NIS client too,when we restarted the NIS services it started working properly.But I am not sure that was the actual reason behind it.

Regards
Aneesh