4051 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

NFS limitations

ShruShree

NFS limitations

Hi All, 

I have below queries on NFS on HP-UX 11.23

1. Any limit for number of clients to which the filesystems can be exported as NFS?
2. Number of filesystems the cluster servers can export as NFS?
3. Resource bottlenecks to be considered ie., amount of CPU,memory,etc for the NFS server.

Regards,

Shree

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration to HP-UX > networking. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: NFS limitations

There are no limits that I am aware of for your questions 1 & 2.

The caveat is that you may need to increase the number of nfsd daemons and biod daemons as the number of NFS clients increases.  These can be changed in the /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf file.

If you are donig lots of NFS traffic then I would think you would want to keep an eye on the network traffic on the NFS server.  If you start saturating a network card then you may want to look into something like Auto-Port Aggregation to combine several physical NICs into a single NIC to increase your bandwidth.

It is possible that you may run into other issues, but I would suspect less CPU and memory and more disk I/O issues.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: NFS limitations

Something else to consider: if the server goes down, every client that uses mounts from that server will start to hang. So if you export the mounts to 50 or 500 machines, that server becomes a critical resource for all those clients.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin