4690 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

NFS related Question

Ajin_1
Valued Contributor

NFS related Question

Hi Experts

shall I remove the entries in  /etc/exports file while NFS process is running.

Primary: cat /etc/exports
/NFStmp -rw=secondry

In Secondry Servers fstab the NFS file System commented.

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > General to HP-UX > networking - HP Forums Moderator

Thanks & Regards
Ajin.S
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: NFS related Question

You should probably unexport the currently-exported filesystem first, before removing it from /etc/exports.

If you wish to remove all the currently-exported filesystems, "exportfs -ua" is the easiest way to un-export all of them at once.

If you have other /etc/exports entries and don't want to remove all of them, use "exportfs -u /NFStmp".
Then edit /etc/exports.

There is no need to stop the NFS daemons.

If you removed the entry from /etc/exports without un-exporting first, the /NFStmp filesystem would still remain as exported until the system was rebooted. This could cause some surprises: "Why can't I unmount /NFStmp??? According to fuser -c, nothing is using it, so it should be free to unmount!"

The NFS export is a kernel-level action, so it is not directly associated with any normal process, so the fuser command won't see it. Yet you cannot unmount a filesystem that is still exported.

MK
Ajin_1
Valued Contributor

Hi

How can i check currently-exported filesystems

showmount -e is that correct command ?

Thanks & Regards
Ajin.S
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>shall I remove the entries in /etc/exports file while NFS process is running.

That's just a text file (like fstab), it will only matter when doing exportfs(1m) or share(1m).

>How can I check currently-exported filesystems

You can also look at /etc/xtab or /etc/dfs/dfstab for 11.31.

Ajin_1
Valued Contributor

Hi Experts

I check the xtab it also having the same entry as /etc/exports file

I manually remove the same or exportfs -ua remove the entry form xtab??????

Thanks In Advance.

Thanks & Regards
Ajin.S
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I manually remove the same or exportfs -ua remove the entry form xtab?

/etc/xtab (like /etc/mnttab) is a generated file.  You must use exportfs -u to remove entries.