Networking

Re: NFS serives running via udp / tcp part 2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Aslam,

I think I understand your situation. You have a number of identical NFS clients all mounting a filesystem from the NAS9000 server. All but one of these clients mounts the filesystem using TCP but one of them mounts via UDP. Is this correct?

The one system that mounts via UDP - is it able to mount other filesystems via TCP from other servers? Is it able to mount other filesystems exported by the NAS9000 using TCP, but fails on the specific filesystem you've mentioned?

I'm trying to understand if this is a problem with your client not being able to mount ANY filesystem via TCP or if this is the server not allowing TCP access to this client, or if it is the server not allowing TCP access to this one specific filesystem.

So again:

1) Can the NFS client mount using TCP from any other server?

2) Can the NFS client mount any other filesystems from this NAS9000 using TCP?

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE
Aslam Ghumra_2
Frequent Advisor

Dave, et all

I think I understand your situation. You have a number of identical NFS clients all mounting a filesystem from the NAS9000 server. All but one of these clients mounts the filesystem using TCP but one of them mounts via UDP. Is this correct?

>>> Yes this is correct.

The one system that mounts via UDP - is it able to mount other filesystems via TCP from other servers?

>>> Yes, we have a NAS8000 server (linux) which is mounted via TCP.

Is it able to mount other filesystems exported by the NAS9000 using TCP, but fails on the specific filesystem you've mentioned?

>>> No it does not seem able to mount using TCP from the NAS9000, as I have tried it on a number of filesystems.

1) Can the NFS client mount using TCP from any other server?

>>> Yes it can from another NAS8000(linux).

2) Can the NFS client mount any other filesystems from this NAS9000 using TCP?

>>>As yet unable to, however there are other systems similar, same nfsconf file, which can mount using TCP.

My immediate pointer would be to the NAS9000 windows NFS server, however the only config file I know is the nfsconf file, which is now the same on all the 6 hp-ux servers. Yet this is the only server which mounts all but one filesystem under TCP.

Cheers, Aslam
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Aslam,

The next piece of data I'd collect would be two nettl traces - one trace collected on the failing HP-UX client when it tries to mount the TCP filesystem from the Windows-based NAS9000, the other trace collected on a different HP-UX client when it successfully mounts the TCP filesystem from the NAS9000 server.

Comparing the failing trace with the working one might give some clues as to why the TCP mount is failing. If you need help collecting the traces or interpretting them let me know.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE
Aslam Ghumra_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Yup i'll need some advice on how to collect these traces.

Aslam
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

The nettl syntax I usually use to start and stop a trace on the HP-UX system is:

START# /etc/nettl -tn pduin pduout loopback -e ns_ls_ip -f

Reproduce the problem

STOP# /etc/nettl -tf -e all

This will create at least one, possibly more than one file in the directory with whatever name you assigned to the trace file (via the -f option) and an extension of .TRC000/1. These are the raw trace files.

If you need help interpretting them, please upload these raw trace files, from both the working and failing clients, here along with the IP addresses of the clients so that we can filter out any non-relevant packets in the traces.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE
Aslam Ghumra_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi, if you could interpret that would be great.

the first two files are from the master server. cappsm (147.188.128.153 / 192.168.1.1)
The files are calles cappsm.TRC000 and cappsm.TRC001.

the thrid file is from a successful mount on the server capps1 ( 147.188.128.158 / 192.168.1.2 ) The file is called capps1.TRC000

All the files are encapsulated within a winzip file.

Cheer, once again
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Aslam,

I looked at both traces. In the working trace I see all the packets I expected to see. In the failing trace I don't see any MOUNT request at all.

It looks like either the trace was started after the filesystem was mounted, or the trace was left running so long that the MOUNT stuff was dropped from the kernel trace buffers.

So the failing trace is not usable. I'd need to see a trace that actually captures the failed MOUNT request that results in the filesystem being mounted with UDP.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE
Aslam Ghumra_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi

What I did was the following :

unmounted the filesystem /home/den
started the trace ( as per above posts )

# mount -o proto=tcp /home/den
nfs mount: getaddr_nfs: nas9000_private: NFS service not responding(retry delay=5s)
nfs mount: retry: retrying(1) for: /home/den after 5 seconds
nfs mount: retry: giving up on: /home/den
stop the trace

nas9000_private IP address is 192.168.1.80

Am I doing this wrong ?
Aslam Ghumra_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi All

We had a power failure which resulted in having to re-start all the affected systems. This is the master and 5 nodes and three nas servers.

By starting the NAS servers first then the master node and then the nodes themselves , seem to have 'clicked' everything together.

So we now have NFS using the TCP protocol.

Cheers, All