7330 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NIC swapped automatically in HP Blade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Charan Jit Singh

NIC swapped automatically in HP Blade

We have a blade server HP BL460c G6 it has 4 NICs. 2 NICs are connected with upper 2 switches and rest 2 NICs are connected with below switches and OS installed is RHEL 5.3 32 bit. I am facing issue in HP BL 460c G6 Server whenever this server reboot its NICs connectivity get swapped with switches which cause this server network connectivity down.
I am not able to understand why it is happening.
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: NIC swapped automatically in HP Blade

Please run this script before a reboot, and again after a reboot. Post the outputs (both before & after) to this thread.

#!/bin/sh
for IFACE in eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3
do
ifconfig $IFACE | grep HWaddr
ethtool -i $IFACE | grep bus-info
done

Also, if possible, please show the content of your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files.

MK
MK
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor
Solution

I have had this issue in the past with multiple nics. On boot the fastest nic to come ready wins the race. so eth0 and others do not always get assigned to the same NIC.

what Matti is looking for is to see if you have the HWADDR assigned to the ethx. this is the only way I know of to always get nic1 to be eth0 and so on..

use ifconfig to see the HWADDRs for each NIC. then hard assign them in the ifcfg-ethx config file.

Charan Jit Singh

Thanks guys.

I have put the HWADDR parameter in ifcfg-ethx files. And rebooted the server twice and thrice and this problem is not occurred again.

Right now I have put this server under observation if any issue comes I will update you thanks any way for your support.

Regards
Charanjit Singh
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

You may also find this article to be of use in forcing which nic is at which eth designation: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux/92280-how-change-ethx-ethy.html