New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netconf problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
ahmtoukhy
Occasional Advisor

Netconf problem

Dears,
I have an issue with my system as I added some static routes to the system using #route add
But I need to make these routes permrnant so I added them in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf but still each time I restart the system all routes are gone !! what could be the problem?
attached the netconf file from server
17 REPLIES 17
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Try moving the IP address assignments block at the bottom of the netconf file to the top, definitely above the static route settings.

Also post a copy of the /etc/rc.log, especially the portion where the route activation fails. But I am pretty sure that, the failure is because of the interfaces not being active prior to the static route assignments.

Actually the routes are assigned after the enabling of the interfaces as they were working when I used the route add command
But I will try your suggestion tonight and get back to u
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The way the routes were assigned with the 'route add' command is irrelevant to how they will be assigned when the system boots.

Doing a 'route add' from the command prompt does nothing to make them permanent and has no impact on the netconf file.

Mel's comment makes perfect sense.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

If you have a system, on which you are happy with the routing, you can use a little script I developed to make a dynamically created routing table (i.e., using 'route add ...' commands) permanent. you can use it if you wish. I am attaching the script to this post. Hope it helps. It works for me but exercise caution and backup your netconf file, just in case

Hi,

Try using "set_parms initial", to configure the network settings and reboot the system.

your system will be brought up with the newer settings.

Thanks
Shiv
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

Try not to create the backup of netconf on /etc/rc.config.d, create the backup of netconf to your home directory or on /tmp directory.

Regards,
Adi.
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Adi,

The issue you are referring to has been addressed in earlier versions of hpux and to the best that I know, having netconf backups in /etc/rc.config.d directory does not have any effect on networking any more, not on 11.x versions at least. It may be a good habit of housekeeping, but to each his own.

dears,

thanks very much for your replies But still problem isn't solved I moved the routes in the file to the end of the file after interfaces declaration
the Backup of netconf is in /tmp
It suppose to be very easy and simple just add the routes in netconf and they will be permanent and I did it before on other servers
what seems to be the problem??
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Have a look in /etc/rc.log and see if there are any errors about network configuration there.