1752550 Members
4988 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Problem

Fabio_56
Occasional Contributor

Network Problem

We have installed two Proliant ML370 with NC7781 network adapter.
The cable is a C.5 E. and we use hub 3com.
We verified that, some time, the connections between this machine get down.
Each this new servers comunicate always with all firewall zones without problem.

We changed the hub, re-certificate the cable but the problem persist.
help me!, thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi Fabio,
I do not have any idea at the moment, but it does not have to be a hardware problem
Is there anything in the eventlogs?
Are all drivers up to date?
Are all critical OS patches installed?
What is the OS?

HTH,
Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Fabio:

Try the newest NIC driver. Go here:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcomтМй=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=software&h_query=ml370&submit.x=5&submit.y=7

then drill down by choosing the appropriate ML370 model, then the appropriate OS, and finally look in Driver - Network.

Also, make sure both ends are set the same (for instance, avoid having one end set to Autodetect and the other end set to 100/half-duplex).

HTH

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Fabio_56
Occasional Contributor

There is nothing in the event wiever
All drives ar update from the hp site
The OS is Windows 2000 server Sp4
All the critical OS patches are installed

Yesteday I substituted the 3Com hub with a cisco switch.

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Fabio,
what network protocol are you using? If you are using NDIS or NetBeui or NetBios you can meet this problem.
If you are using TCP/IP check if there are 2 host with same IP address.

Ciao
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Fabio_56
Occasional Contributor

Antonio

I use TCP/Ip protocol, and a'm sure that there are not duplicate ip adderess.
In the dmz zone there are only these two server.
thanks
Simon Purdue
Frequent Advisor

Have you run the basics:

1. Ping the IP address of each server from the other.

2. Ping the NetBIOS computer name of the servers. This prove WINS resolution (if you have WINS running of course).

3. Ping the DNS name of the computer to prove DNS resolution is working e.g. computername.domainname.com.

Thanks
Simon
Fabio_56
Occasional Contributor

Hi Simon

1) I have verified the ping with other server it's always good (I've problem only between two new server).

2) The wins service is up and resolve correctly the servers names

3) The dns service rosolve corectly the servers names.

thanks
Simon Purdue
Frequent Advisor

If you're machines are up-to-date, then I'd change the network cards for a different brand, say a 3Com or Intel.

If the problem is intermittent and event logs don't show anything, then this could point to a hardware failure.

One other thing to try is load the latest Support Pack for the ML370 (here's the Windows 2000 one: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18416.html). Once you've got this installed run the HP Systems Management Home Page from Start/Programs/HP Management Agents and drill down to the Network Card properties - you may find some info in there on the condition of the card.

Hope this helps.
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

stray suggestion: disable the teaming software. we had a few servers go all strange on us but it cleared up when we unteamed the network cards.

also you might check the driver statistics for runts or discards. that could signify noise or surges at the switch.

There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.