1752292 Members
4671 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Speed....

Chris Bennett_11
Occasional Contributor

Network Speed....

I have been working on a scripted build, W2k and W2k3, but cannot find a way to script the speed of the network cards.

by default any server on our lan is a 100Mb connection, and as we have had issues with Auto selected we set every server manually to 100Mb.

the scripted build does everything, but the network card speed.

I have not been able to find any help on either the HP or Microsoft sites.

Can anyone help?
is it that time already !
6 REPLIES 6
Richard J. Anthony
Frequent Advisor

I have not seen a modern NIC that would not handle both 10MB and 100MB, nor needed to be 'set' to distinguish. Doesn't mean you don't need to, just means I may have exposed my ignorance. So, folks, please educate ME, too.
Dum vivimus vivamus
Chris Bennett_11
Occasional Contributor

Sorry...
The nic can be set to either 10Mb or 100Mb, but my problem is I am not able to find a scripted (or automated) method to complete the change.

At the moment I can build a server completely (OS install, Application installa etc), but then I have to log in and manually set the network speed - it's this final manual section I would like to avoid.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Jeff Brown_15
Frequent Advisor

We had this problem at a few sites. Hard code the access ports on your switches to Full/100 instead of auto.

The problem is most likley outdated switches and/or switch versions.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

If he sets the switch to 100 Full and does not find a way to script the PC to 100 Full I guarantee that he will have a Duplex mismatch since Autonegotiate is required by the RFC to set itself to 100 Half if the other side is not also set to Autonegotiate.

Chris,

I believe it is going to be very NIC maker dependent. For Intel you might be able to use:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-016832.htm

or

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&ProductID=1058&DwnldID=6410

I assume other makers have similar programs.

Ron
Jeff Brown_15
Frequent Advisor

Ron,

Maybe you are referring to an HP switch or some other off brand. I am sorry I was closed-minded. I work with Cisco, Bay Networks, and Nortel 24/7 and I guarantee it will not happen in those environments because I see it everyday.

What would happen if the switch does not support half duplex? And we have plenty of them, out of the box full duplex no negotiation.
Chris Bennett_11
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all that answered.

We have had issues when setting the port to 100, and then the actual Server to Auto - hence the requirement to set the Server nic manually.

The setspeed application has wored a treat, so thanks for teh advice.

Cheers
Chris