Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Speed....

Occasional Contributor

Network Speed....

I have been working on a scripted build, W2k and W2k3, but cannot find a way to script the speed of the network cards.

by default any server on our lan is a 100Mb connection, and as we have had issues with Auto selected we set every server manually to 100Mb.

the scripted build does everything, but the network card speed.

I have not been able to find any help on either the HP or Microsoft sites.

Can anyone help?
is it that time already !
6 REPLIES
Frequent Advisor

Re: Network Speed....

I have not seen a modern NIC that would not handle both 10MB and 100MB, nor needed to be 'set' to distinguish. Doesn't mean you don't need to, just means I may have exposed my ignorance. So, folks, please educate ME, too.
Dum vivimus vivamus
Occasional Contributor

Sorry...
The nic can be set to either 10Mb or 100Mb, but my problem is I am not able to find a scripted (or automated) method to complete the change.

At the moment I can build a server completely (OS install, Application installa etc), but then I have to log in and manually set the network speed - it's this final manual section I would like to avoid.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Frequent Advisor

We had this problem at a few sites. Hard code the access ports on your switches to Full/100 instead of auto.

The problem is most likley outdated switches and/or switch versions.
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

If he sets the switch to 100 Full and does not find a way to script the PC to 100 Full I guarantee that he will have a Duplex mismatch since Autonegotiate is required by the RFC to set itself to 100 Half if the other side is not also set to Autonegotiate.

Chris,

I believe it is going to be very NIC maker dependent. For Intel you might be able to use:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-016832.htm

or

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&ProductID=1058&DwnldID=6410

I assume other makers have similar programs.

Ron
Frequent Advisor

Ron,

Maybe you are referring to an HP switch or some other off brand. I am sorry I was closed-minded. I work with Cisco, Bay Networks, and Nortel 24/7 and I guarantee it will not happen in those environments because I see it everyday.

What would happen if the switch does not support half duplex? And we have plenty of them, out of the box full duplex no negotiation.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all that answered.

We have had issues when setting the port to 100, and then the actual Server to Auto - hence the requirement to set the Server nic manually.

The setspeed application has wored a treat, so thanks for teh advice.

Cheers
Chris
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event