1753792 Members
7714 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Utility 7

Anthony Betz

Network Utility 7

How do you correct a corrupted xml configuration file that is used in the HP Network Configuration Utility used on a DL380 running 2003 server std. I have unistalled the network management agent and reinstalled to no avail. Everytime I attempt to run the utility I receive the same error. "An error occurred due to invalid data in the XML file used by this application. The XML file has been corrupted and should be reinstalled from the installation media"
14 REPLIES 14
Jason Marshall_1
Occasional Advisor

I too am having this same error. However, I followed the intructions from a similar post (Remove HP Network Configuration Utility 7 from the LAC properties on the NIC, and reinstall as a protocol). I even went as far as uninstalling all of the HP agents as well to start with a clean slate. When reinstalling everything, I am still getting the same error. Does anyone have any insight on this? I tried to locate the XML files to see if they were globally significant - or if there was static data that could be moved from a known good server, but I was unsuccessful.

This just occured the same day for at least 5 servers in our environment. No other changes had been made during this time.

Thanks in advance!
Andrew Gerrie

I know that this isn't very helpful but just to ram the point home, I am getting the exact same error, and for no apparent reason. I have only gone as far as re-applying the latest PSP. It reports that everything was installed apart from the relevent updates to the Network Configuration utility. When you view the install reports, is just says it was unable to install it - no reason.

I am having some strange behavior like slow file access and file sharing violations on the file server in question. I am therefore keen to get this problem resolved so I can eliminate it from my enquiries.
William Kauffman
Occasional Visitor

HELP!!!

I have the same error after installing 7.40B on a DL380 G2 Windows 2000 server.

I tried un-installing the Network Configuration Utility, IP, NIC drivers and reinstalling with same error. I had to uninstall The Network Configuration Utility to establish any communication with the server at all but it is still crippled. After configuring one of the nics I can access the server via Remote Desktop but still cant ping the servers gateway from the server. HP field technicians changed the system board today to no avail. I'm ending up installing/upgrading the NOS which I believe will correct this software corruption problem.

Sure wish someone (HP) would address this issue. I'm reluctant to install any 7.40X support packs until I know what the problem is with upgrading the Network Configuration Utility with a teamed server.
Joshua Pelligrino
Occasional Contributor

I'm kind of curious here, did any of you happen to just install new software on these servers? The reason I ask, is that a client had installed this Sophos Anti Virus utlilty on these servers about a month ago, and the servers havent been rebooted since. When I pathced them the other day, they finally rebooted and I expierenced the same issue with 2 different servers. I dont want to point fingers, but this seems kind of odd how this is happening all the sudden. I get the ame errors that all of you have been getting also.
robwa

For a quick answer jump to the sumary at the end :)

I've just experience and fixed this problem. My trigger was to upgrade from ncu 8.6 to 8.7. I used filemon to identify the xml file that was the problem, I found this to be cpqnic.xml. I tried to remove this (hoping it would just regenerate) and I a got an "xml file can't be found error", next I tried to remove this file and reinstall the NCU, this caused the original error again. I didn't know the installer was getting the data from, so I tried to remove the xml file from c:\cpqsystem\cpxml that matched the filename of the installer (in this case cp007625.xml), then cleared down the cpqnic.xml in \HP\NCU and tried again. same fault. The final approach I tried was to remove the contents of c:\program files\hp\ncu and re-run the installation of NCU 8.7. This worked and I was able to get into the NCU. I don't know if the removal of the XML file first from c:\cpqsystem is required, I'm not going to re-break the box in order to find out.

To sumarise, my steps that worked are: remove the corresponding xml file from c:\cpqsystem\cpxml (i.e. remove cp007625.xml). Remove the conents of c:\program files\hp\ncu. Reinstal cp007625.

Regards

Rob W
Brendon_F

I had this problem when I used the HP Physical Server migration utility. The server came up fine but had no Network connectivity. Clicking on the Launch HP Network Icon failed coming up with invalid XML file.

In short you have to reinstall the HP Network configuration Utility (you can't always uninstall this especially when you have the corrupt XML File) I used HP Support Pack 7.9 for Windows 2003 The utility is "CP007625.exe"

Method to fix:
-Connect via iLo/RiLo
-copy of latest support pack in ISO; mount with virtual media
-Make sure you note IP address's etc before you proceed.

1 - Open Network Properties on one of your teamed NIC's, Press the uninstall "HP Network Configuration Utility" and reboot NOTE. IF THIS BUTTON IS GREYED OUT do STEP 2 otherwise "==Skip to Step 3=="

2 - Open Device Manager and delete all your network cards by highlighting and pressing the delete key. REBOOT
Once rebooted let the server redetect all the nics and Repeat Step 1

3 - Run HP Support pack. If you do not want to run the full Support pack just locate the HP Network Configuration Utility (At time of this post I used v7.9 CP007625.exe)

4 - Launch HP Network Configuration Utility and configure your Teaming.

Hope this helps.
Brendon
Steve Troup

Sadly not working for me with a NC7771, I wsa getting the error 'network configuration page is already open' when ever I tried to open any of the settings.

I've tried removing the drivers and ncu8.7 but now the network card fails to install completely with an unknown error.

Tried reinstalling the older versions but I get the same result, the network card fails to install.

I'm going to try another nic, a nc7170, hopefully it will work if not I have a dead server.

George J. Perkins
Frequent Advisor

I also have a DL380 G3 running Win2K3R2SP2 (after a clean install of the Firmware Update 7.90 CD and installed using the SmartStart 7.90 CD).

I reported this problem to HP technical support, and this is their reply and my observations:

-----------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's ISS Solutions Center.

This is with reference to your e-case regarding the CPQTeamMP Error on 1Gbps NIC while configuring teaming.

The serial number provided indicates that your server is a HP ProLiant DL380G3 X3.2GHz/533 1MB 1GB 1P Rck US.

Thank you for providing us the brief description about the issue.

To diagnose the issue, we suggest you to refer to the ITRC Web link forum given below:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=902099&admit=-682735245+1193383947394+28353475

The Event ID 49 occurs because of the installation of the Network Configuration Utility as part of NCDE software sometimes does not place all optional keywords in the registry.

If the issue persists after following the steps in the above Web link, NCDE (Network Controller Drivers Ethernet) 8.50 will resolve the problem of several of the warnings being generated to the System Event Log by ensuring the correct keywords get written to the registry upon installation.

-----------------------------------------

>>>
I reviewed the customer forum as you suggested.

The only new information I gleaned was to use System > Hardware > Device Manager to delete the network adapters, restart the server, and allow PnP to re-install the drivers.

I did this additional step. And then configured teaming. I got the same error messages as before, however, the teaming functionality I require (which is minimal: just a stand-by network connection to guard against cable or port failure) is now present. This is an improvement and I judge by the text of the error message ("No action is required if the Default behavior is acceptable.") it is supported by HP and stable. Please confirm this assumption!

The error that is being reported in the server system log is as follows:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: CPQTeamMP
Event Category: None
Event ID: 49
Date: 10/30/2007
Time: 8:19:08 AM
User: N/A
Computer: PCWMS25NEW
Description:
HP Network Team #1: PROBLEM: This Teaming Miniport-Edge Configuration Parameters section
of the Registry is either missing the VlanId Parameter, or the Parameter is unreadable.
Setting value to 0. ACTION: No action is required if the Default behavior is acceptable.
Otherwise, reconfigure the VlanId value.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 58 00 ......X.
0008: 00 00 00 00 31 00 04 80 ....1..├В
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to spend unnecessary time trouble-shooting looking for other what "might work" fixes. If HP has specific knowledge of what is causing this error and a specific software update that corrects the problem, then please let me know.

I will also update the forum for the benefit of other customers who may review that thread.

<<<

George J. Perkins
Frequent Advisor

Here is a solution to this problem (dialog with HP support and my reply inserted below).

>>>

The registry key path you specified does NOT exist! Perhaps this is the problem with your driver, it is attempting to use the wrong key?? Check it out with development!

I used regedt32 to "Find" the presence of "{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" elsewhere in the registry. I located the following key. To this key I added VlanID and VlanDefaultID REG_DWORD 0x0 values.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0008

I then restarted the server and dissolved and re-created the team. This has solved the problems of the erroneous error messages concerning a corrupt XML file.

Let me know when you have re-created this problem in your laboratory environment and then have certified an updated teaming driver fix.

<<<

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:47 AM
To: Perkins, George
Subject: Regarding Case Number 3220517952

RE: 3220517952
FR: dinesh_kumar

Hello George,

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's ISS Solutions Center.

This is with reference to your e-case regarding the CPQTeamMP Error on 1Gbps NIC while configuring teaming.

Thank you for providing us the update regarding the status of the issue.

Thank you very much for your patience and cooperation in trying to resolve the issue.

We kindly suggest you to follow the steps given below:

1. Please note down the TCP/IP settings of the Team adapter.
2. Launch the HP Network Configuration Utility (NCU), Click on Dissolve, Click OK. To apply changes, click Yes. After all configuration changes are successful, click on OK.
3. Try to team the NIC, reconfigure the TCP/IP settings and check for the status of the issue.
4. Also check if the values for VlanID and VlanDefaultID are set. You can add values to both under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0008 as a REG_DWORD value with data value 0.

We would appreciate if you could provide us the following information at the earliest:

1. The observations made after following the above steps.

Thank you,
Hewlett Packard's ISS Solution Center
HP Customer Support
HP warranty support: 1-800-474-6836.