1751816 Members
5725 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network problems

Jason Dominy
Occasional Contributor

Network problems

I can browse my network to servers and browse the internet. But I cannot ping the servers or the domain names that I can get to on the net. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Gregory Lee_1
Regular Advisor

Jason,

Are these servers on the other side of a firewall?

If so it is possible that pinging is restricted through the firewall.

Greg
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Yep.. I agree with Greg.

Since everything else is working properly, your Firewall is probably restricting ping (ICMP) incoming/outgoing packets to reduce network traffic and hack attempts.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jason Dominy
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the web servers are on the outside of our firewall which does not have that on. The other servers are on the inside, on our local area network, that is the one I can't figure out.

Thanks
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Jason,

Are you trying to ping your local servers with a name or an IP address? If by name then try
nslookup hostname
and see if it comes back with a valid IP address. If it doesn't you are using the wrong name or your local DNS doesnot have them registered or you have something wrong in /etc/hosts.

If by ip then probably they just don't want to reply.

Ron
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Doh!... Ron's got it.

NetBIOS is working fine, thanks to WINS you can browse the internal network. But you can't ping by IP or FQDN because your DNS settings are wrong, or the server is having problems.

You need to make sure that you have a working DNS server on the inside of the firewall, and that it's IP address is one of the entries in your network config.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda