5420 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Networking 3 PCs, can see but not access files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Lovelock

Networking 3 PCs, can see but not access files

Hi All, i've read some of your excellent answers to questions and wonder if you can help me with this one, I pray you can fix it, it's been bugging me for ages now.
I have 3 pcs at home, two on win2k pro, one on XP. My pc (win2k) has a broadband connection shared between the other two pcs, and i can see and access their files, and the net connection is shared between them all fine. Also I can play games over the net too. But I cannot access files on my PC from either of the other two pcs. It gives me an error about "//Michael is not accessible. Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" even tho i have all the login names and passwords the same on all pcs. Please help me, it's driving me mad :o)
Thanks for your time
5 REPLIES 5
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Are you using a firewall on the W2K system. If by default you are blocking all incoming ports, you may be blocking the ports that MS needs for file access.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Sritharan
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Do you have set anything on the Policies ??

Do check on the Local Security Policy, you can use this command from run menu "gpedit.msc" ,Check on the Computer Configuration whether is that allow
"granted the requested logon type at this computer"

Please post the result..

Thanks & Regards
Sri
Known is a drop...unknown is an ocean -> quote from a movie
Trevor Lacey
Frequent Advisor

So you've already set up usernames and passwords in Control Panel's [Users and Passwords]?

Can you see the files on your comp, or can you just not open them?

Be sure that the settings on the [Security] tab of the files are set correctly.
Shut up and reboot!
Michael Lovelock

Hi guys, the only thing the firewall's doing (PC-cillin) is blocking TCP/IP trojan ports, so hopefully that's not a prob? Long list of ports on there tho.

Couldn't find what you meant about the local computer policy, where abouts did you want me to look in there? Windows components? System? Network?

Yeah I have all the users set up and could see all the PCs and access the files from this PC (win2k), but now I tried to install NetBui which was suggested in another forum and now the XP machine cannot see the other two, and we can't see it.

HTH
Michael Lovelock

Sritharan, thank you for your post :o) I can now access files from the other PC. I played around with the policies as you suggested and went and gave user access to this PC for those users I wanted to be able to logon. This was in "Access this computer from the network" in "Local Policies", "User rights"

Thanks so much for your help, hope I can regain access to the XP machine now too :o)

Thanks again
Mike