4409 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Networking 5 computers

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Alice:

Your solution looks like you waited for the last minute to create it. If I were your professor I would probably give you a passing (barely) grade for it. Of course, the professor might have given you just the weekend to come up with an answer (which makes research more problematic). I like Antoniov's idea of keeping the Linux machine in the main house and using it as a server (but that requires more information about how the computers are used).

Good luck to you.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Alice M. Williams
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Roger

Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

it looks ok, i would have gone for windows 2000 as the main server. Also as Roger said the document seems to be prepared in the last moment and not presented well..

Anyway all the best.

Ganesh
Alice M. Williams
Occasional Advisor

Your all of telling me that it was not presented well. This the first discussion or project that has been given to us. I take my classes on-line. the instructor has not given us anything but the scenario that I wrote in my question. I know nothing about the linux operating system, because the book only told us that it is up and coming. We have not be instructed on how to write a presention.
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Hi
I would alteast expect a computer gif image instead of a circle to indicate a computer.

Even though it may not be instructed but it is just a creative thought. That is all.

In my college, we usually have some percentage of marks for the presentation of the assignments, even thought they have not told how to present. We learnt ourselves. I am not sure in your case.

Ganesh
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Alice:

I guarantee that no one here is deliberately trying to hurt your feelings. We could hardly be aware of all those things you said in your last message. If that is the case, then either your instructor is trying to get a feel for the technical level of the class (most likely) or the course has some pre-requisite(s) that you haven't taken. Whatever it is, it's not earth-shaking and there's no reason why you couldn't be advising us about network design in 6 months. Please accept my apology if I've hurt you.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Hi Alice,
Me too trying to give u some tips which might help u. Not hurt u. If i had hurt your feelings.. i am sorry about that..

Cheers :-)

Ganesh
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Alice,
I tell you my own idea;
You post update all PC: I think if you colud choice platform your instructor told you "project a network with 5 PC , etc." but he told you have a main PC with Linux, etc.
So I think you could make a little change otherwise it too far easy. When I come to my customer, the existly h/w is a feature of problem.
Same for fiber-optic line; in Italy a fiber-optic line it's expensive, I don't know if in U.S.A. it's cheaper; my feel your project it's expensive (obviously it's not a real problem).
I think main server can remain Linux; you could install Apache, PHP and PHP Nuke to make a simple CMS (Context Management System); PHP is very easy to use, you can find many comunity and leave client as they are. If you use Perl instead of PHP, it more powerful but it's little difficult than PHP.
Linux leave you a big fredoom of choice, you can find many open source project and it more robust than xp.
It's only my idea.
Good Luck.

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Dwyane Everts_1
Honored Contributor

Alice,

How did you do? It appears based on the discussions that your instructor was trying to get a feel for each persons experience level. It also appears that you were given quite a few good ideas, and now that the discussion is over, here are the answers to my hints, so that you have an idea for future projects:

(Please keep in mind, I'm usually tasked with projects like this all the time on a budgetary constraint)

1. DSL (Phone lines, right?)
Fiber is expensive in any language! Frame-relay isn't much better. This project calls for you to construct a network in barns; do you honestly think a farmer is going to have money to spend on a lot of upgrades? Phone companies are using a newer technology called MPLS. Basically, its a private network using existing internet/VPN technology. You can research it on Google.

2. Linux (IP Chains/firewall and routing capable)
Linux is no longer an up and coming OS. Its rapidly becoming the standard. In fact, I'm told even the new "Microslop" OS, due out early next year, is Linux-based at the kernal level. Linux is Unix in nature, and has a built-in firewall (IP Chains) and has the ability to route. This makes it a perfect server in this instance. You won't have to purchase expensive routers and network hardware, Linux will do it for you. If you intend on having a serious career in IT, take some courses on Linux, specifically the Red Hat Linux flavor!
Linux also has a protocol called Samba. This works the same as a Windows-based network share.
Since Linux is Unix-based, you can also install the DNS protocols here (BIND/named).

3. ZoneAlarm (freeware firewall for Win95, www.zonealarm.com)
Your 486 PC is ancient, and I would recommend upgrading it in very near future. However, until the farmer can afford to upgrade; download and install ZoneAlarm. Its free and works EXTREMELY well.

4. W2K and XP have built in security, just configure it
Self explanatory.

-- Now each system is networked, and basic security is installed. You have internet connectivity; and using personal email accounts, you both phone and email communications. Linux also has a print spooler protocol that allows for network printers (if asked).

-- System backups was touched, but according to the scenerio, not a requirement. However, I would advise CD-burners for each PC, even Linux has this capability :).

Budget:
DSL - $40/month x 5 sites = $200/month
Mini hubs (if you need them) - $25 each
NIC for 486 - $25
CD-burners - $50 each

Good luck with your course :)
Dwyane

BTW! This project should only take 1 work week once DSL is installed. 3 days for installation, 2 days for troubleshooting/fine tuning.