5872 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Networking 5 computers

Alice M. Williams
Occasional Advisor

Networking 5 computers

I am an IT student and the scenario that was given to me back my instructor is:
A friend of your family owns and operates a large walking horse farm, he has 5 computers that is not networked. He has ask you to design a network for the operation. The main objective is to share files/data and be able to update and query files/datafrom amyof the 5 locations. network security is extremely important. #1 A P4 running on a Linux operating system. Located in the upstairs office of the main hour, approx 1/4 mile from the closest barn. #2 A P3 running ona Windows 200 operating system. Located in the downstairs study of the main house. aprox 1/4 mile to the closest barn. #3 An old 486 running on a Windows 95 operating system. located in one of the barns. approx 100 yards from the closest barn. #4 and #5 are both P4s running on a XP operating systems. located in the main barn about 100 feet from each other. This barn is approx 150 yards fro the closest barn. There is a high voltage trasmission line approx 1/4 mile from the closest barn. It shouldn't be a problem but, the owner is very concerned about data security and doesn't want to take any changes. all of the barns have telephone service.
18 REPLIES 18
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Networking 5 computers

How much help has your instructor said you can get with this?

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Alice M. Williams
Occasional Advisor

He did not say. But it is not a test, it is a graded discussion. I had an idea and I think that I have the correct answer written out on paper. But he want us to draw a design. If could sent you an attachment to show what I have, My class is on line and there is somethings that I don't understand and it is due tomorrow, so I don't have time for him to answer me back.
Thanks
Dwyane Everts_1
Honored Contributor

Alice,

I know this is due tomorrow, and I'm not real sure how advanced this class is, but here are a couple hints to help you think "outside the box."

1. DSL (Phone lines, right?)
2. Linux (IP Chains/firewall and routing capable)
3. ZoneAlarm (freeware firewall for Win95, www.zonealarm.com)
4. W2K and XP have built in security, just confiure it

This is a graded discussion, so I can't just give you a configuration...that would be cheating :)~ .

Good luck, and have fun :)
Dwyane
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

First question: What's the budget?

Second question: How are backups being handeld? Backups are a very important, yet very often ingored aspect of system security. After all, if you get hacked, or in this case, if the barn burns down, how are you going to recover?

also...don't bother trying to install XP on the 486. The 80486 architecture is "ancient" and will not support XP. An operating system upgrade is not going to magically make that into a P4 system. You're better off installing a couple of network cards in the 486, installing linux (read-only) and configuring it as your router/gateway to the internet. You can do a google search to find HOWTO papers on configuring such a system.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Alice:

I know today is the 17th but I hope this helps you.

Assuming an unlimited budget (this is obviously hypothetical ;^) ), I would run underground fiber between the main house and each of the buildings with switching hubs in each location. I would install a secure server in the main house in a locked, cooled closet with the hub and phone line access. No files should be saved on the individual computers but all saved to the server (except the OS, of course). The server files should be backed up daily (at least the new files).

Windows 95 is not a secure OS. That computer should be replaced! All others should have a password-protected screensaver.

That's the big picture.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Another thought... "All of the barns have telephone service".. If all of the available lines have NOT been used, you can use one set of wires for a "twisted pair" setup. this would be like an in-house network. The only issue would be the distance. 384 feet is the max you can go without a repeater.

You could go wireless in the house (using encryption of course) connecting to another access point in the barn, then wired through the phone line between the other barns.

The last thought, is to go totally wireless
(You still want to go encrypted).
The main barn would house the access point, and all locations surrounding it would have wireless cards. If needed, an additional directional (yaggi) antennia can be focused towards the house.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Very interesting ..
1.st question: scenario is time limited? Becuase your scenario need an expert workgroup to solve problem and keep future mantenaince. Your friend has Linux, Win2K, Win95 and WinXP; yes it's only ipotetical but this may be a real situation where everybody has builded a his own system and now you have to build an integrated system.
2.nd question: what's the scope? #3,#4 and #5 have located in barns; I presume they have limitated traffic from/to central server in main farm; because all the barns have telephone service, this hint a point-to-point connection within modem. In this way you make no change (as the owner will), you keep security, and installation is very simple.
Again:
Server Linux hint me using a central application based on web: all client PC have browser so you can make the major work on unique machine.
This is the cheapest an simpliest solution for my mind.

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Alice M. Williams
Occasional Advisor

Hi Anthony

I have attached my answer that I sent in. Is it right. What do you think about it.
Thanks
Alice
Alice M. Williams
Occasional Advisor

Please read my attachment and tell me what you think.
Alice