SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Networking between 2 pc's

Let me clarify one point...

NetBIOS vs NetBEUI

NetBEUI is an installable network transport protocol.

NETBIOS: Microsoft's software interface for accessing network resources based on NetBEUI

NetBIOS is encapsulated within TCP/IP.

If he is using TCP/IP, and has selected to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" within the WINS area of the NIC setup page, then NetBIOS is active. If "Enable LMHOSTS lookup" is also selected (and an LMHOSTS file is set up), then he won't have to worry about browsing without a master browser, or WINS.

But... another possible solution is to install NetBEUI on both machines (since it resolves everything through broadcasts) and be done with it. The only issue would be when he is back at the office and the additional "noise" his system will then create.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Jon,

This is one fine example of why I should never try to do anything by memory! It never dawned on me that we were looking at two different sides of the coin until right now. Now it???s too late and I???ve already embarrassed myself ;-(

The only good thing is that you have said that what I have suggested is a viable option even if it might create a little more chatter on the business network than it did previously (in an extremely large network it can be extremely noticeable, but not so much in a smaller network). I wish I had the graphics available here so I could pull down a graphic of the top protocols on our company network so I could demonstrate the evils it can cause in the larger environments, but the company wouldn???t want me to show that off anyway so I guess it???s good that the temptation isn???t here???

Sanjay,

Jon is correct. You should be able to take each place that I put the word ???NetBIOS??? and replace it with ???NetBEUI??? in my last response. Somehow my tiny little overworked mind got the two of them completely mixed up yesterday.

However, as Jon also admits, that is one more way to accomplish your goal. It is what I use on my home network of 3 PC???s with no problems at all.

Back to the ???NetBIOS??? issue, if you want to see what your settings are regarding that, you would also go through the properties of your ???My Network Places???, ???Local Area Connection Properties??? and then select your ???Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)??? protocol and click on properties.

The dialog box that comes up should be familiar to you since this is where you set your IP address as either static or ???Obtain an IP address automatically??? (using DHCP). From there you would click the ???Advanced??? button toward the bottom of that box.

In true M$ Windoze style, this brings up yet another dialog box with 4 tabs across the top. The place to check your ???NetBIOS??? in this area is located under the WINS tab. Under that tab, you have three radio buttons near the bottom that deal with how NetBIOS over TCP/IP is handled on your computer.

One word of caution regarding NetBIOS over TCP/IP: If you choose to use this setting to allow you to share information in your house, remember that TCP/IP is the same protocol that you use for the internet as well. If you leave this set up to allow file sharing between the two computers and then go to the Internet, you will have left all of your file shares open to the rest of the Internet community as well.

You may make your own choices, but for our safety and peace of mind I make sure to use NetBEUI on the LAN and disable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

I???m sure there are other schools of thought on this, but this is what I choose.

Sorry about the mix up on the first post. Please forgive me for crossing the two.

Let us know how it goes!

P.S. Thanks for the reality check Jon. Sometimes we all get mixed up...
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Keith_62
Occasional Advisor

Lack of the NETBEUI protocal is probably your problem Go to Microsoft support site WIN 2000 knowledge base for fix (link attached)same for XP users, Netbeui doesn't load up but is on the CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258717

Cheers

Keith
Keith - HP Partner
Sanjay Verma
Super Advisor

Friends, I'm still going through each and every-steps suggested by all. Will update this once it's done - either case.

Hi John, don't worry I've read the friendly, neighborhood Forums Manager's comment.

Cheers
Co-operation - The biggest chain reaction
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

Several problems here.

The machine setup for DHCP has to find a DHCP server to get info from.

You will need a Linksys D-link or similar router to provide this service unless you want to reconfigure the machine for a manual static IP.

Also the machine that was in a domain will not have viewable files from the other machine (this is a domain security issue), unless you want to change it to workgroup mode.

The domained machine will be able to see files and use the printer of the workgroup machine, but not the other way.

It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

1. The machine setup for DHCP has to find a DHCP server to get info from.

Ans. If Sanjay installs NetBEUI this can be ignored.

2. You will need a Linksys D-link or similar router to provide this service unless you want to reconfigure the machine for a manual static IP.

Ans. Same as above.

3. Also the machine that was in a domain will not have viewable files from the other machine (this is a domain security issue), unless you want to change it to workgroup mode.

Ans. Sanjay will need to create a local account on the DHCP domain machine, that is the same User ID and password that he uses on the other machine. Drop that User into the local Admin's group. Then he can connect to the Admin C$ share for full access.

4. The domained machine will be able to see files and use the printer of the workgroup machine, but not the other way.

Ans. This "should" be taken care of by previous question.

If Sanjay does NOT install NetBEUI, then all of the problems mentioned are still VERY valid and will need to be addressed.

We've leared a few ways to address this.

Sanjay can setup a batch (script) file to change the TCP/IP setup using: netsh
i.e. Change it to a fixed IP when the (I'm assumming a laptop here) laptop is brought home, then change it back before shutting it down to take it back to the office.

We'll have to see what Sanjay thinks.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hello Sanjay again,

You are talking about P2P networking and not Server Based Networking. Have you looked at this M$ KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258717
However, you should have the following protocols installed at both ends:
1.TCP/IP
2.NetBEUI
3.File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft sharing.
4. Client for Microsoft Networks.

Please keep us updated.
Thanks and good luck.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Sanjay Verma
Super Advisor

Hi Friends,
I'm here to update you all that I've not disappeared. Still going through all the process to setup and make this working.

Thanks again for the overwhelming response.
-Sanjay
Sanjay Verma
Super Advisor

Hi Friends,
Thanks everyone for your comments and wonderful suggestions. I am now attaching the diagram indicating my requirement. Hope this clarifies my requirement.
-Sanjay
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hello Sanjay,

I really admire the Diagram. You remind me the M$ exams when I was doing my certification, I hope it's not an exam!
Since you have a public IP in your laptop and a private IP in your Home PC, this will not work.The Public IP that you have is (A) class and the private IP is (C) class and they have different subnets. Try this,
Add NetBEUI, in the Mobile laptop and set the TCP/IP in your Home PC to obtain IP address automatically.
Try Changing the Workgroup of the Home PC to have the same name of the domain. Domain names can be used as a Workgroup names too.
Also, don't forget that both PC should have the same protocols as I have mentioned in my previous respond.
Does your Diagram means that your laptop has two NICs, one for the internal Network and the other for the Home PC?

Please let me know how it goes.
Thanks.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003